Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

WSU had two players currently in high school get drafted

Senior left-handed pitcher Scotty Sunitsch throws a pitch in game three of the series against Cal on April 14 at Bailey-Brayton Field. He was picked in the 18th round of the MLB draft Wednesday.

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

RYAN BLAKE, Evergreen reporter

Four WSU baseball players were selected in the 2018 MLB First Year Player Draft on Wednesday.

Junior right-handed pitcher Parker McFadden was the first Cougar off the board. He was selected in the 16th round, 475th overall by the Baltimore Orioles.

McFadden struck out 46 batters in just over 30 innings while posting a 3.56 ERA this season. He was also the starting pitcher when four Cougar pitchers combined to throw a no-hitter April 22 against Santa Clara University.

Senior left-handed pitcher Scotty Sunitsch was taken in the 18th round, 545th overall by the Milwaukee Brewers. Sunitsch was the team’s premier starting pitcher this season after coming out of the bullpen for the majority of his first three years at WSU.

The former closer tossed a no-hitter at University of Oregon on April 8 and was named National Pitcher of the Week and Pac-12 Conference Pitcher of the Week for his efforts.

Senior right-handed pitcher Ryan Walker was picked in the 31st round, 916th overall by the San Francisco Giants. Walker finished his WSU career with 87 appearances, second most in school history and his 13 wins in relief tied the school record.

The final Cougar to be selected was junior outfielder Justin Harrer. He was taken in the 35th round, 1,044th overall by the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Harrer was a mainstay in the middle of the Cougars order the past two seasons. His 11 home runs in 2018 led the team and were ninth most in the conference.

Two high school players committed to play at WSU next season were drafted Wednesday as well. Right-handed pitcher Brandon White was picked in the 14th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers and left-handed Kyler Bush was chosen in the 40th and final round of the draft by the Kansas City Royals.

Players selected in the draft have until July 6 to sign with the team that picked them.

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

Cougars carve up Buffaloes 31-7

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

No. 8 Cougars face Buffaloes in Boulder

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

Football looks primed to go more than Bowlin’

• Football

Freshman wide receiver Drue Jackson to transfer

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

Week 10 Pac-12 North power rankings

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

Mens

Men’s golf will compete in last meet of fall semester

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

Mens

Cougars top Deacons in exhibition game Sunday

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

Cougs claw past Golden Bears

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

No. 8 Cougars face Golden Bears

• Several Cougars selected in MLB draft

Proud past of Pelluer

Several Cougars selected in MLB draft