Advisers recognized for jobs well done

From staff report

Four WSU academic advisers have received national recognition for exceptional work in guiding students.

The awards came this month from the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).

“What this means is we really do have some outstanding advisers on our campus doing some really great work,” said Brooke Whiting, chair of the WSU Academic Advising Association (ACADA). “It says we have a strong unity of advising on our campus and can only get better.”

Ruth Ryan, Shanna Pumphrey, Patrick Carter, and Alicia Petersen received certificates of merit for their respective roles. Petersen was recognized as an outstanding new adviser.

“It is really exciting that we have this group here on campus that is getting recognized,” Whiting said.

Petersen and Carter also recently received regional recognition from the Region 8 chapter of NACADA.

Ryan, an associate director at the Center for Advising and Career Development, said the recognition comes at both local and national levels.

“One of the things it recognizes is the acknowledgement of the importance of advising in general,” Ryan said. “It helps students navigate the waters of higher education and really explain the choices they have based on their interests, goals and passions rather than by what their friend told them.”

WSU advisers have received recognition at both regional and national levels for the past six years, Whiting said.

The WSU ACADA also provides advisers with tools and resources to keep learning about ways to help students for both new and seasoned advisers, Whiting said. Training sessions, conferences, discussions, and professional development are all offered to advisers, she said.

“I think it’s going to continue to improve,” Ryan said. “Not just because it’s what students want, but it’s what the advisers want, to be available and helpful.”

The advisers will be formally recognized in October at the NACADA national conference in Minneapolis.