WSU sorority charged for public urination in Coeur d’Alene

WSU will charge its chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority in response to complaints that a group of students urinated in a Coeur d’Alene park last Saturday in full view of park visitors.

The incident took place during a sorority-sponsored trip to Lake Coeur d’Alene, where chapter members and guests boarded a cruise boat.

Prior to boarding, intoxicated students – male and female – were allegedly seen exiting six charter buses and proceeding to urinate in City Park.

“We have established that WSU students were involved in the public urination incident and the WSU Office of Student Standards and Accountability has sent notice of charges to the president of the sorority,” said Melynda Huskey, WSU Dean of Students, in a release yesterday.

The sorority will be charged with violations of the university’s student code regarding alcohol and disorderly conduct.

Elizabeth Bailey, the sorority’s national vice president, answered questions on behalf of the chapter, which has not commented on the incident or investigation.

“Kappa Kappa Gamma is currently investigating the matter while the university’s review process is continuing simultaneously,” Bailey said in an email. “We will continue to work cooperatively with the university.”

Huskey said WSU initially received two eye-witness complaints and later found that Kappa Kappa Gamma sponsored the trip.

She said the sorority has been singled out because it sponsored the trip, and individual students – regardless of their genders or affiliations – may receive further disciplinary action as they are identified.

Possible sanctions range from warnings and probation to mandatory community service and suspension or expulsion, she said.