Distinguished community members receive awards

Walk of fame inductees include former WSU professor, football coach

Retired WSU football coach Mike Price expresses his gratitude after receiving a

Retired WSU football coach Mike Price expresses his gratitude after receiving a "Famous Sports Figures" award on Saturday at the Lentil Festival Walk of Fame ceremony.

ARIPIRALA SAI RAM | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ARIPIRALA SAI RAM | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ARIPIRALA SAI RAM | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

ANGELICA RELENTE, Evergreen reporter

Since 2003, individuals who have served the Pullman community through promoting goodwill have been honored with a plaque inscribed with their name on the sidewalk around downtown Pullman.

Members of the Pullman community gathered around Sam Dial Jewelers on Aug. 18 to honor the 2018 Walk of Fame inductees at the 30th National Lentil Festival.

One of the inductees was Richard Daugherty, a late WSU archaeologist, researcher, author and professor. Daugherty was a “WSU President’s and Distinguished Members of the WSU Community” honoree who brought national recognition to Pullman.

Francis Benjamin, president of the Pullman Kiwanis Club, said Daugherty taught anthropology and archaeology courses at WSU in 1951 until he retired in 1982. Daugherty and Ruth Kirk, authors of “Hunters of the Whale,” won the Fourth Annual Children’s Science Book award by the New York Academy of Science along with other recognitions. Daugherty’s son, Rick, received the award on his behalf.

“As we grew up, we didn’t realize all the things that he did accomplish. We were just kids,” Rick said. “We are truly honored that you have chosen to honor him in this fashion.”

Mike Price, a retired WSU football coach, was another Walk of Fame inductee. Price was honored as one of the “Famous Sports Figures” due to accomplishments such as being the only coach to lead WSU to five bowl games. These bowls include the 1992 Copper, 1994 Alamo, 1997 Rose, 2001 Sun and 2003 Rose Bowl.

Price was inducted in the Washington State Athletic Hall of Fame in 2016. He also mentored notable players such as quarterbacks Drew Bledsoe, Ryan Leaf and Jason Gesser.

“I’m really humbled,” Price said.

Ivan and Velma Sayles were inducted as “Distinguished Residents” who continually contributed and provided service for the Pullman community. Ed Felt, member of the Pullman Rotary Club, said the Sayles lived in Pullman for a combined 167 years.

“I just wish Mom and Dad had those [Fitbits],” Carol Sayles Rydbom, one of Ivan and Velma’s daughters, said. “I wonder how many steps they would have taken in these sidewalks in downtown Pullman and all around.”

Felt said Ivan was active in the community and was a member of organizations such as the Pullman City Council, Pullman Lions Club and Pullman Chamber of Commerce. Velma was also active and was a part of the 4-H Youth Development Program and the Pullman Regional Hospital Auxiliary. Being involved in the community is something the Sayles truly valued.

“I asked Dad one time—‘Dad, what floats your boat?’” Carol said. “He said, ‘I just like to help people.’ And he meant it.”

ANGELICA RELENTE, Evergreen news editor

Angelica is a sophomore multimedia journalism major from Oahu, Hawaii. She started working for The Daily Evergreen as a news reporter in November 2017...