International fun with or without mom

Now is the time of the year many students look forward to. The semester is almost over, the spring sun is shining, and there are a myriad of events happening to conclude the school year.

However, nothing excites a person more than spending time with family.

Mom’s Weekend begins today, and people are eager for what’s to come. But alongside all of the students who get to enjoy their mommy-and-me activities, there are some students who aren’t so fortunate.

International students have fallen victim to not being able to spend time with their moms. Although there are no official restrictions on who can go to this weekend’s scheduled events, there is still the feeling of seclusion.

Between fall 2007 and fall of 2012, there has been a 61 percent increase of overall international student enrollment, according to the WSU website. The international student enrollment as of fall 2013 was a record of 1,892.

Katherine Hellmann, associate director for the Office of International Programs, said the International Center is trying to do as much as it can for international students so they feel as though they have something to participate in.

“It is pretty hard for international students because a lot of times their moms can’t come,” Hellmann said. “It is not feasible for moms to fly to the United States for a weekend. For international students ,we want them to get involved in Mom’s Weekend and let them feel that they have that support.”

WSU’s International Programs will host events on Friday to incorporate international students in this weekend’s festivities.

The first event is the International Arts & Eats from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. in CUB L46. This event is centered on learning how to make international arts and crafts such as hennas, calligraphy and origami. In addition the event will include samples of international foods followed by a tea ceremony.

“Even though their moms typically cannot come, we try to get them to interact with someone else’s mom,” Hellmann said.

The second event, the 2014 Global Case Competition, begins at 3:30 p.m. Friday in Todd 276 and is interdisciplinary competition that showcases grouped teams’ solution to the arsenic poison problem in Bangladesh. Following the presentations at 6 p.m. will be an awards ceremony and reception with food catered by the WSU Hospitality Catering Services. 

“What we want to do is make moms and the students aware of the global learning opportunities that we have in the Office of International Programs like curricular and study abroad opportunities,” Hellmann said.

This is a great opportunity to enjoy international cultures for free in a fun way.

Mom’s Weekend events are a guide for international students to engage in community and campus activities. The overall atmosphere of the campus during this weekend will be positive. Therefore, instead of being excluded, international students can represent their family’s presence through sharing their culture with other students and their family.

Instead of simply attending events and partying all night, it is vital for students to use this annual event as an opportunity to celebrate being able to have mothers and mother figures visit. Try extending your activities to your fellow international students who spend the entire school year without spending time with their mom or family.