Court adjourned; WSU tennis defeated by Pepperdine

The opening day of a two-match homestand ended in disappoint for WSU women’s tennis. The Cougars (15-8, 1-5) took a step back in terms of their goal to reach postseason with a loss yesterday to the Pepperdine Waves 4-1.   

In doubles play, the Cougars found themselves down early in No. 1 and No. 3. WSU sophomore Maria Biryukova and senior Olga Musilovich gave Pepperdine senior Ale Granillo and sophomore Michaela Capannolo all they could handle in the No. 2 spot with the Cougars quickly taking the lead at 5-2.

Pepperdine ultimately took the doubles point with an 8-5 win against WSU junior Elizaveta Luzina and sophomore Lize Leenknecht at No. 1 and an 8-2 win against the Cougar duo of junior Charlotte Koning and sophomore Dajana Ognjenovic at No. 3. Biryukova and Musilovich took the No. 2 spot with an 8-6 win.

In singles play, No. 106 ranked Luzina pulled off an upset against No. 25 ranked Pepperdine junior Lorraine Guillermo with a 6-4, 0-6, 6-1 win at No. 1. Pepperdine’s Capannolo defeated Musilovich 7-5, 6-1 at No. 4. Wave freshman Yuki Chiang defeated Ognjenovic 6-0, 6-0 at No. 5. At No. 6, Pepperdine freshman Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai defeated Koning 7-6, 6-1. No. 2 and No. 3 play were suspended as Pepperdine secured their victory.

A chance at redemption comes today at 11 a.m. when the Cougars take on the Huskies on the outdoor tennis courts.