Study abroad on a budget while enhancing learning experience

Global study isn’t just for rich students, program director says

COURTESY OF PIXABAY

Study abroad can be an option many students, even if they don’t have lots of money.

HAYLEY MARTINEZ, Evergreen reporter

For many students, studying abroad may seem unattainable because of concerns over cost. But through WSU Study Abroad, not all programs cost the same, Global Learning Director Christine Oakley said.

Out of the roughly 500 programs offered through Study Abroad, prices can range from a few thousand dollars to upwards of $30,000.

“If you want to go, we will make it happen,” she said.

Some of those programs can be cheaper than studying on campus, Oakley said. For a semester program, costs range from $6,000 to $32,000 and all experiences are different, she said.

Global studies students are advised by major, not location, Oakley said. However, if a student wants to go to a country where there isn’t a program, advisers will work to make it possible as long as the location is safe and academically sound.

Students can take between 12 and 18 credits and are given the guarantee that all credits they take studying abroad transfer back when they return to WSU, Oakley said.

The shortest program offered is during spring break. Oakley said about 50 percent of students study abroad in the summer.

Several faculty-led programs in the summer focus on specific majors like journalism or business. Students develop skills specific to their major while also learning about the history and culture of the area.

The first thing students need to do if they are considering studying abroad is to attend a session of Global Cougs 101, Oakley said. These sessions provide students with all the basic information they need to study abroad. Times and locations for the information sessions are available at ip.wsu.edu.

“Leaving WSU, going to a country where you may not know the language, [helps] students feel so much more empowered to try new things out of their comfort zone,” Oakley said.