Week Two Pac-12 North power rankings

No changes to Pac-12 North rankings as they cruised to a 6-0 record highlighted by Stanford win over USC

SHAWN O'CONNOR, Evergreen columnist

Here is how the teams in the Pac-12 North division stack up after week two.

1. No. 9 Stanford University

Senior running back Bryce Love rolled as Stanford won a statement game over then-No. 17 University of Southern California 17-3. Love ran for 136-yards and a touchdown on 22 carries for the Cardinal, while junior quarterback K. J. Costello went 16-27 for 183 yards and a touchdown in a balanced Stanford attack.

The Cardinal defense stepped up in a big way, forcing three turnovers and holding the Spartans to a single field goal. The team cemented its place at the top of this list and is the clear class of the Pac-12. Stanford hosts Football Champion Subdivision (FCS) side University of California, Davis, next week.

1. No. 10 University of Washington

Senior quarterback Jake Browning was inconsistent as UW crushed University of North Dakota 45-3. Browning went 23-37 for 313 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

Senior running back Myles Gaskin was held under 100 yards for the second-straight week, collecting 53 yards on 15 carries with a touchdown on the ground.

The Huskies showed off their depth in their receiving corps, as 11 different receivers caught a pass for UW. The team’s defense was solid, forcing a turnover and holding North Dakota to 262 total yards.

UW opens conference play next weekend with a trip to Utah.

1. WSU

Graduate transfer quarterback Gardner Minshew II looked sharp as he led the Cougars past San Jose State University 31-0 on Saturday. He went 34-51 with 414 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. His first pick was off a deflection by his receiver, while the second was an extraordinary diving play at the sideline by a Spartan.

Sophomore wide receiver Tay Martin looks very good, hauling in six receptions for 68 yards and two touchdowns while nearly hauling in a third on a ball that barely hit the ground.

WSU’s defense was stout once again, as the Cougar defense ranks second in the FBS in defensive yards allowed per game with 157.5.

WSU hosts Eastern Washington University next week as the Cougars look to go 3-0 for the second-straight season.

1. No. 20 University of Oregon

Oregon’s running game shined as the Ducks flew by Portland State University 62-14. The team ran for 296 yards, led by senior running back Tony Brooks-James and freshman running back CJ Verdell, who combined for 213 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Sophomore quarterback Justin Herbert also looked sharp, going 20-26 for 250 yards and four touchdowns. The Ducks’ defense held the Vikings to 224 total yards, although it did not force a turnover.

Oregon looks to keep its undefeated season rolling as it hosts San Jose State University next week.

1. University of California, Berkeley

Freshman quarterback Chase Garbers looked good as Cal did just enough to top Brigham Young University 21-18. Garbers went 18-28 for 176 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

The Golden Bears’ defense held BYU to 287 total yards while picking off senior quarterback Tanner Mangum twice.

Cal hosts Idaho State University next week in its final nonconference game of the season.

1. Oregon State University

The Beavers ran for five touchdowns as they defeated Southern Utah University 48-25. Oregon freshman running back Jermar Jefferson was too much for the Thunderbirds to handle, rushing for 238 yards and four touchdowns on 22 carries.

The Beavers accumulated 649 yards of total offense in an impressive showing. Their defense was concerning, however, as Southern Utah threw for 340 yards while amassing 488 total yards.

Oregon State travels to the desert to take on University of Nevada next week.