Gatsby goes Greek, parties for global charity

The Alpha Kappa Psi Fraternity will put a new philanthropic twist on the age-old mullet theory of “business in the front, party in the back” at the Ensminger Pavilion Friday.

As the largest business fraternity on campus with more than 100 members, Alpha Kappa Psi will host “The Great Fratsby” in an effort to raise money for its philanthropy Global Partnerships.

The event is a night to dress up, dance, and help reach the goal of $1,000 for Global Partnerships, according to the fraternity’s campus-wide advertisements.

“We are hoping that our community will come help us support this philanthropy and have fun and dance while doing it,” said Kelsey Carrao, vice president of administration.

There will be a professional photographer for the first hour of the dance as well as a photo booth and live music by DJ Twisted Beats.

Anyone who buys pre-sale tickets will be entered in a raffle drawing for two $50 Visa gift cards and another card with a surprise value. 

Alpha Kappa Psi also strives to coach its members into becoming future professional business leaders from every major by helping them expand both their knowledge of business and their professional networking connections.

The current vice president of marketing, Ellen Price, has been with the fraternity for four semesters.

“I owe all of my professional success to Alpha Kappa Psi,” she said. “You get to network with companies like Boeing and Microsoft.”

Last semester fraternity members sold sweatshirts and earned $500 for The SOLD Project, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating youths about the dangers of sex trafficking in Thailand.

After growing from 60 to 100 members in just three semesters, the fraternity now focuses more on offering loans and support to impoverished countries through Global Partnerships – a state based, nonprofit organization.

“They can use their loan to start a small business or for business education that’s a lot like financial consultation,” said Kelley Chaves, philanthropy head.

Global Partnerships also pairs with organizations that provide services such as health care and freshwater to rural communities and countries that have undergone and overcome natural disasters, like Haiti.

“I chose Global Partnerships because I’ve worked with them previously, so I could utilize old contacts,” Kelley Chaves said. “The micro-financing part also works well with what our fraternity extorts.”

The dance is from 8 p.m. to midnight, and tickets cost $5 pre-sale and $7 at the door. Pre-sale tickets will be sold in the CUB from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday and Friday. All of the money earned will go directly to the Global Partnerships organization.

Guests must be 18 years of age or older but are not required to be students.