The final candidates for provost address students

The search for a new permanent provost and executive vice president came to a head this week as the two remaining candidates for the position held public forums to communicate their qualifications and ideas for the future.

The two finalists left in the search for a new provost are A. Dale Whittaker, the vice provost for the Undergraduate Academic Affairs and acting vice president for Student Affairs at Purdue University, and Daniel J. Bernardo, the current WSU interim provost and executive vice president.

Whittaker and Bernardo both held public forums in the CUB Auditorium at 12:10 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday, respectively.

Both candidates focused a portion of their presentations on their interest in transforming the student experience.

“Our challenge quite broadly is to increase student success while increasing the size and diversity of the undergraduate student body,” Bernardo said.

Whittaker said he wanted to make certain students are interculturally competent and capable of thinking critically by advancing programs like undergraduate research and study abroad.

The main difference between the two candidates is the perspective they come from, said Craig Parks, the chair-elect of the faculty senate. Whittaker is bringing a perspective from outside WSU, while Bernardo is a bringing a perspective from within, Parks said.

Bernardo is a WSU alumnus, and has been serving as interim provost and executive vice president for the past 10 months.

Whittaker said he was attracted to WSU because of its clear identity as a people’s university and the leadership’s interest in taking risks.

“Even though the whole state has gone through some pretty tough times, the university has been able to be bold rather than meek,” Whittaker said.

Bernardo focused much of his presentation on his already extensive involvement in WSU, while Whittaker said his main goal for his public forum was to help WSU get to know his values.

“My own personal goal for the day was likewise to get to know Washington state, the people and the place,” Whittaker said. “I think absolutely we accomplished that.”

Both public forums had about 50 members of faculty and staff in attendance, with a few more interacting from other WSU campuses via video conference. Parks said he was pleased with the attendance and number of questions.

The provost search committee will meet again to discuss the two candidates, but a timeline for a final decision has not been set.

“We’re very fortunate,” Parks said. “We have two outstanding candidates, we can’t lose.”