Taking selfies with strangers to learn more

Four WSU students have begun a week-long campaign that challenges others to snap pictures of themselves with complete strangers.

Through various social media, the creators of the Selfies with a Stranger campaign ask fellow students to leave their comfort zones and interact with people they might otherwise never meet.

“The idea was that if you take a selfie with a stranger, you will get to know a new person,” said Marina Martin, a junior social sciences major and co-creator of the project. “There are so many people at WSU that we don’t know, so Selfies with a Stranger is a way to be able to meet new people.”

Another goal of the campaign, which uses the Twitter handle @wsuselfies, is to encourage students to learn about their selfie partners and provide short introductions in the comments alongside their submissions.

Junior communication major Hunter Britten, another co-creator, said a primary goal is “just learning something about someone you’ve never met before.”

Students can use the hashtag #wsuselfies. In addition to Twitter, the campaign is taking place on Facebook and Instagram.

The others involved in this project are Steven Baldwin and junior communication major Tracey Kraemer.

Martin said work on the project began in late January, and she’s excited that it’s finally taking effect. The campaign will run Monday through Friday of this week.