Cougar baseball drops game 2 against Beavers

Redshirt sophomore Nick Tanielu runs toward home base during a game against OSU at Bailey-Brayton Field, Saturday, April 12.

Chris Shaw | Evergreen baseball reporter

Life returned to the Oregon State Beavers’ bats on Saturday afternoon as they throttled the WSU Cougars in a 12-5 victory. 

One night removed from mustering a single run through all nine innings, the Beavers jumped on Cougar starter Tanner Chleborad, who only lasted 4 1/3 innings. Chleborad surrendered six runs on eight hits. The bullpen did not fare much better as redshirt junior Scott Simon and junior Sean Hartnett combined to give up the other six runs in the game. 

“It’s tough when you see yourself down that much but you can’t give in,” redshirt sophomore Nick Tanielu said. “You never know. This game is weird, and you never know what could happen.”

The runs kept piling on for the Beavers, who scored first in the second inning on an RBI single by freshman Caleb Hamilton. The Cougars did not waste any time answering back. Tanielu started off the bottom half of the second inning with a double, and then scored on an RBI single from redshirt sophomore Ben Roberts. Junior P.J. Jones followed with a single to put runners at first and second with nobody out, and after junior Ian Sagdal moved the runners over with a sacrifice, sophomore Matt Mendenhall drove in the go-ahead run with a groundout to second base. 

Tanielu had a big day for the Cougars, going 4 for 4 with two RBIs, but his performance was not enough to bring his team back into the game. After taking the lead in the second, WSU never regained the lead as the Beavers added multiple runs the third, fifth, sixth and seventh innings. 

Tanielu said the team tries to score at least once every inning when it finds itself down by a lot of runs, but the Cougars were unable to chip away at the lead beyond the bottom of the sixth inning.

The Beavers led 8-3 going into the bottom half of the sixth and the Cougars made it interesting with a two-run single by Tanielu. That ended Oregon State starter Andrew Moore’s night, but redshirt junior reliever Zack Reser put zeroes on the Cougar side of the scoreboard for the rest of the game. 

“Hats off to them. They came out and scored when they needed to, and they kept hitting so it’s just going to be a fight tomorrow,” Tanielu said. 

Moore showed he was vulnerable in the game, but lasted long enough to get the win. Moore allowed five runs on 11 hits in 5 2/3 innings, and walked three batters without any strikeouts. However, Reser surrendered only one hit the rest of the way, diminishing any chances the Cougars had of coming back. 

The teams will play the final game of the series on Sunday at noon. That game will decide the winner of the series, and will feature a matchup between lefties Jason Monda and Jace Fry.