Students seek bone marrow donations to fight cancer

Marcus Fowler, a Pullman resident diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia in 2011, survived because of a bone marrow transplant.

“If you donate to somebody, chances are you just saved their life,” Fowler said. “I am only here because I had a transplant.”

In order to save lives like Fowler’s, a new organization on campus aims to spread awareness and find treatment for blood cancer patients.

Be The Match (BTM) is a non-profit organization operated by the National Marrow Donor Program. Its marrow registry is the largest and most diverse in the world.

“We give people a chance to live their lives,” said Magda Silva, a senior communication major and BTM engagement representative. “We really are changing the whole paradigm.”

When patients are diagnosed with blood cancers like leukemia or lymphoma, many rely on BTM’s registry to find a marrow donor.

BTM sought a younger, more diverse demographic in 2013 with its On Campus program. More than 20 college campuses across the nation have created chapters in the form of student clubs, and Silva said that number has tripled over the course of the academic year.

Once the On Campus program started to gain momentum, WSU faculty member Debra Pastore of the College of Education decided to advise the university chapter.

“We really just want to get the word out,” Pastore said.

Pastore once donated to her sister, who died two years later of multiple myeloma. She said one of her sister’s last wishes was that the registry be filled with potential donors.

In-family matches are uncommon, and trends have shown that transplants are most successful when marrow comes from a donor of the same ethnicity as the patient, Pastore said.

Pastore hopes BTM will become a permanent fixture at WSU, holding fundraisers and drives throughout the school year. She plans to put together a board of students and implores those interested to contact her. Her email address is [email protected].

Fowler said registering is as simple as getting a cheek swab, and donating is not as painful as it might seem.

A person is diagnosed with a blood cancer like leukemia every four minutes, according to a pamphlet that BTM distributes.