Not all superheroes wear capes

Do you have someone who is there for you no matter what? Someone who never judges you and knows you better than you know yourself? Someone who is forever devoted to you and loves you unconditionally? I do, and that someone is my mom.

And gentlemen, she’s single.

To me, single mothers are women who can’t possibly be normal human beings. After all, how can the woman who brought you into the world, taught you right from wrong, protected you, and shaped you into who you are be just another person?

It’s not like a single mom doesn’t have her own life to lead and her own problems to solve, all in the midst of the never-ending battle that is raising a child. Yet she somehow manages to juggle all her responsibilities and puts you as her first priority.

She’s not just another ordinary woman. She’s amazing.

My mom and dad divorced when I was 5 years old, and for that reason I’ve only ever known my mother as a single mom. For me it’s normal. I can’t imagine a better life.

However, as I’ve matured, I learned the term ‘single mom’ is loaded with cultural baggage. The label is an excuse for society to criticize and question my upbringing, my prospects, and my mother’s ability to raise her own children without the help of a husband.

My question for society: How can a single woman who manages to juggle a job, a household, and her children be a disappointment? How is it possible for a single mom to be seen as anything but super woman?

Our family’s income wasn’t the only thing split in half after the divorce. The amount of time my mom had to do the work of both parents was split as well. But she pulled it off, fantastically I might add.

Society needs to comprehend that children don’t succeed in life in spite of the father they may lack, but because of the love their mother gives them.

I’m not going to pretend my mom and I didn’t have our differences. We did. It wasn’t rainbows and butterflies and tea parties all the time.

Like every healthy teenager growing up, I thought I knew everything. Screaming matches were my forte and lying and guilt-tripping my mom was what I did in my spare time.

I realize now, however, just how hard being a single mom is. For one, you have to play both roles: mother and father. Not only that but you have to be the disciplinarian while simultaneously demonstrating unconditional love and support for your child.

I remember once the calm took over after a fight, I always felt the need to be close to the woman who loved me more than anyone else did on the planet. Despite all the drama that she had to put up with, when I needed my mom she was there. Always.

She was there on the sidelines at all my big races, screaming to the point of losing her voice. She was at my senior prom, bustling around taking hundreds of pictures. She was at my high school graduation, congratulating me with tears of pride for finishing that chapter in my life.

She was at the airport back home in Australia, pouring all her love over me as I boarded the plane that would take me away to college for four years without her at my side. 

My mom, my single mom, taught me how to love without reservation, to trust myself, to be confident, kind and patient, to live my life to its full extent, to discover my limits, and above all, to laugh.

Your mom, single or married, is beautiful and strong, and she’s independent and wise. Most of all, she’s proud of you. You’re her biggest achievement yet. You’re hers and she is yours, just like my mom is mine.

– Sarah Steger is a sophomore communication major from Perth, Australia. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.