You got served; Cougar tennis prevails on Senior Day

Senior Olga Musilovich returns a rally during a home match against Oregon, Saturday, April 19.

From Staff reports

The women of the WSU tennis team left the Outdoor Tennis Courts for the final time this season exactly as they intended, victorious.

The No. 45 ranked Cougars (18-10, 3-7) took down the Oregon Ducks (7-15, 1-9) on Senior Day by a final score of 4-2.

Senior Olga Musilovich was one of two players recognized before the start of Saturday’s match, which began well for WSU. Musilovich teamed up with sophomore Maria Biryukova in No. 2 doubles to clinch the opening doubles point, 8-4, against the Oregon pair of freshman Lina Akesson and freshman Marlou Kluiving. The victory came after junior Elizaveta Luzina and sophomore Lize Leenknecht defeated junior Nicole Long and junior Jasmine Minor 8-1 in No. 1 doubles.  

Oregon mustered two victories in singles play, but ultimately the Cougars proved too much for the 7-15 Ducks (1-9 in conference play). Luzina went down to Long 7-5, 6-1 in No. 1 singles, and WSU’s junior Charlotte Koning lost to Oregon’s senior Lana Buttner  6-0,6-2 in No. 5 singles, but it was all Washington State from there.

Musilovich carried her positive momentum into singles play with a win 6-0, 6-1 in No. 4 singles. Leenknecht follow suit in No. 3 singles with a victory against junior Sofia Hager 6-0, 6-2. Biryukova sealed the deal with a win against Minor in No. 2 singles, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0.

Also honored on the day was senior Emily Funabiki.

The No. 6 singles match between WSU’s sophomore Dajana Ognjenovic and Oregon’s freshman Allie Hueffner did not finish due to a victory for Oregon no longer being in reach. Ognjenovic had a 4-6, 6-1, 4-3 lead when play stopped.

The 18 total victories on the season for Washington State are the third-most in a single season, according to WSU AthleticsA. Also entering the recording books was Head Coach Lisa Hart who earned her 141st win on Saturday, which is the most wins by a tennis coach in WSU history.

With their regular season finale in the books, the Cougars now turn their attention to the Pac-12 Championships beginning Thursday in Ojai, Calif.