Supporting dreams on the radio

Two students work together to answer questions about higher education for the Latino and Hispanic communities through an independent radio program.

A Spanish-speaking radio program, called “WSU Conectándote!” or “Get Connected with WSU!” is put on by WSU students and reaches Latino and Hispanic communities all over the state to answer questions about higher education.

The show is co-hosted by Marcela Pattinson, the educational outreach coordinator for the Office of Access, Equity and Achievement, and Ambar Martinez, public relations and communication coordinator of the Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment. The show airs for 30 minutes every other week, Tuesdays from 10:00 – 10:30.

Martinez said on the show there are different segments that include guest speakers from the university, such as Spanish-speaking teachers or students, but it mostly allows parents of future students to ask questions regarding higher education.

“We’re able to create a network while we help the parents get access to higher education wherever they want to go,” Pattinson said. “Hopefully they come here.”

The show has been reaching stations in Seattle, and Northeastern and Southern parts of the state for four years, but does not broadcast to Pullman.

“It’s a Spanish-speaking radio show, so it’s all to help Spanish-speaking parents,” Martinez said. “Around Pullman, while it’s growing, we wouldn’t be reaching as many people.”

Martinez said that while the show does not push students specifically into WSU, the goal is to give information that can allow future students to pursue higher education.

“It’s not only us, but WSU is committed to higher education for everyone,” Martinez said. “Of course we want students to come here, but if they don’t, at least we know that we could help them.”

Another element in the show is the phrase of the day, which Pattinson said is usually an inspirational phrase about support and success. She said these types of quotes really resonate with the Latino community.

“They’re all about family, and all about connecting, and that’s why we’re called Conectándote,” Pattinson said.

Martinez added that because of the quick format of the show, it is all kept simple.

“Some parents didn’t go to school in the U.S., or didn’t go to school in their home state, so it’s all foreign to them,” Martinez said.

She said the questions they receive can range from questions about the FAFSA and financial aid options to explaining what a college credit is.

“Working with parents puts things in perspective,” Martinez said. “Not only how complicated the system can be, but that we’re all trying to further our lives. And I think we all agree that that’s through education.”

Luis Martinez-Rocha, student services counselor for financial aid and scholarships, has a two-minute spot on the show every other week to discuss financial aid and admissions, but he will soon be taking over for Martinez.

“It’s nice to help your own people and give them a guide to get through some of those things that can be very hard,” Martinez-Rocha said.

Pattinson said Martinez-Rocha is well-equipped to be a co-host on the show.

“He has the knowledge to be able to connect, have the information, and guide,” Pattinson said.

Martinez said part of the goal of the show is to plant the seed that education is possible, and a way to improve lives, and that they are there to help them succeed.

After the show has ended, listeners can also continue to call Pattinson and Martinez if they have any questions that are unanswered.

Pattinson said the dedication to supporting first-generation and undocumented students speaks to WSU’s commitment to supporting all students.

“WSU really values the input first-generation students have,” Martinez said.

The radio show is funded through the office of student affairs, mainly through the support of John Fraire, vice president of student affairs and enrollment.

The show can also be listened to online, at espanol.wsu.edu, and past shows are available as well.