ASWSU to cease substantive bills

FROM STAFF REPORTS

ASWSU announced that no substantive bills will likely be passed this semester in a meeting Wednesday.

Now that the end of spring semester is only a few weeks away, the senate is expediting bylaw modifications for the incoming 44th senate.

“It’s pretty normal for senates to ramp up bills and agendas because their terms are coming to an end,” said Kevin Massimino, ASWSU vice president.

Because of the amount of time required to write of bills aimed toward the student body, Massimino said there likely won’t be any more substance bills this semester, which means bills that impact the student body in any way.

Of the five bills brought before the senate yesterday, the three that involved ASWSU committees were motioned to be moved to Committee Squared, a board of representatives from all ASWSU committees, for review. This is normal procedure for a bill involving ASWSU committees.

The senate also voted unanimously on resolution 43-10 in support of the Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act. The bill aims to allow charitable donations to nonprofit student housing to be tax-deductible.

Sen. Jake Montano announced during the meeting that 10-page bill that would adjust much of the language in the senate by-laws will be introduced next week.

Sen. Amita Jain said the finance committee will no longer be considering funding requests for the duration of the semester.