Shaken or stirred

Care for a glass of rum? Just add water.  

We’ve seen it done before with instant coffee, juices and teas. However, inventor Mark Phillips has revolutionized our previous ideas about alcohol with his new invention Palcohol.  

Palcohol is basically a powdered version of alcohol, and comes in the varieties of rum, vodka, cosmos and lemon drop cocktails. It’s up to 12 percent alcohol by volume and is created by pouring the powder into your favorite mixer, according to an article by CBS Baltimore. 

While there are many concerns about the making and selling of Palcohol, these types of innovative ideas are what keep our culture advancing and continuously redesigning itself. 

Palcohol gained widespread attention online earlier this month after reports that the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) approved the powdered alcohol and that the product would soon be for sale. 

However, a representative for the federal bureau stated earlier this month the TTB issued “in error” the necessary federal approvals for the Palcohol creator to make and sell its product. The statement was due to a discrepancy over how much powder each packet contains, according to an article by USA TODAY. 

Although there has been a minor setback in gaining the bureau’s stamp of approval, Palcohol is still predicted to hit the market later this year. 

Expectedly, Palcohol has attracted its fair share of critics who are currently raising concerns about potential abuse of the product. 

Many experts claim the risk of abuse is extremely high due to the convenience of the packets. Experts are also concerned the new powdery substance will be inhaled like illicit drugs, which could transmit the substance through the sinuses to the brain-blood barrier and result in an immediate high, according to an article by CBS News. 

On his website, Mark Phillips addressed the concern of people snorting his product by saying, “We have seen comments about goofballs wanting to snort it. Don’t do it!” Phillips also explained how they have taken precautions by adding volume to the powder so there would be “a lot of pain for very little gain. Just use it the right way,” according to the Palcohol official website. 

Bottom line: the product is as safe as standard alcohol if used responsibly. 

Speaking as a college student, there are far more perks than drawbacks to the idea of powdered alcohol. Palcohol was created in order to offer portability and lightness, which suggests countless opportunities. 

Palcohol could easily be discretely brought into places where liquor is not available or is excessively priced, such as concerts, sporting events and movie theaters. 

Critics claim the product seems to be a solution to the hassle of trying to sneak booze into venues. And they are correct.

This means the days of stuffing flasks down your pants or hiding bags of liquor in your bras could be over. Next season, it could be as simple as keeping a packet of powder alcohol in your pocket, adding it to your coke, and voila. Enjoy your mixed drink for a fraction of the original cost. 

Additionally, Palcohol’s official website suggests customers should experiment with creative concepts, such as sprinkling the powdered alcohol on food for an extra “kick.” Vodka eggs or rum pizza, anyone? 

Just like every mind-altering substance, it’s important to remember to use it responsibly. Nonetheless, Palcohol presents endless possibilities for the typical American drinker. 

So everyone raise your glass to Mark Phillips, the man who will revolutionize our culture of drinking forever.

– Ashley Lynn Fisher is a junior English major from Gig Harbor. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.