Student starts Women in Communications chapter at Everett campus

Organization fosters advancement in fields including journalism, public relations, marketing

CHERYL AARNIO, Evergreen reporter

A WSU Everett student recently started an Association for Women in Communications chapter at her campus that will be a sister chapter to WSU Pullman’s.

“The Association for Women in Communications is a professional organization that primarily focuses on the advancement of women in the communication field,” said Emily Mattson, president of the AWC Pullman chapter and advertising manager at The Daily Evergreen.

Sidney Shea, president of the AWC Everett chapter, said she was looking online and found out about the organization in the spring. However, there was no chapter on her campus.

She thought more about extending AWC to the Everett campus when she heard the Pullman chapter was awarded the Outstanding Chapter in the Nation award and Mattson received the Rising Star Award.

“I really like the fact that it was professionals helping other professionals,” Shea said. “I thought it would be a great opportunity to empower some women on campus.”

After reaching out to the Pullman chapter, it was decided Everett should have its own chapter because of the geographical difficulties that would occur since the campuses are hours apart. Communication would be easier and more efficient with two separate chapters than with one chapter, Mattson said.

The first meeting took place this week in Everett, and Shea said she was happy with the turnout.

“We’re really energized about putting together some fundraisers and hosting some other events,” she said.

The sister chapters are planning to collaborate, but everything is still in the developing stages, Mattson said.

They might attend job tours together in the fall and spring and would also like to collaborate for the Murrow Symposium, Mattson said. However, there are no set plans for either of those ideas yet.

Shea said she was happy with how supportive the Pullman chapter has been.

“We really are excited to be able to have WSU Pullman as our sister chapter,” she said.