Campus amped up

Students will gather to celebrate the ending of another school year this weekend at the Student Entertainment Board’s annual Springfest event.

The Student Entertainment Board (SEB) has arranged many free events for students this Friday and Saturday including a carnival, a luminarium viewing and 12 hours of live music performances by local artists. The event will end with a final headline performance by Snoop Dogg at Beasley Coliseum on Saturday night.

This year’s carnival will feature several new rides not yet seen at Springfest, including the Drop Zone, a large ride that propels students into the air and drops them at high speeds, Logan Webbenhurst, SEB Special Events Programmer said.

Large inflatables will also be available for students.

“All the rides and music are free for students,” said Webbenhurst.  “I think Springfest is important because it’s the last hoorah for students before finals. It’s something unique to WSU that you can’t find at just any school.”

The music will not only be free, but some bands are even doing giveaways for students.

Lions Ambition, an indie rock/hip-hop band based out of Seattle will be participating in those giveaways during their performance at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday. They will also play a few new songs.

“I think Saturday will be really fun and give everyone a chance to check out the new stuff we’ve been working on,” the band’s manager Isidro Yaptinchay said.

Ayron Jones and the Way, another Seattle-based band, will perform at 4:00 p.m. Saturday.

Ayron Jones and the Way is an “urban rock” band, with a sound the band’s manager Mackenzie McAninch described as, “Stevie Ray Vaughan meets Nirvana.” The band is fully supported by Sir Mix-A-Lot and was even featured on NPR last week.

“This is a young rock and roll band and I’m not sure kids these days get the chance to experience a good rock and roll performance anymore,” McAninch said. “Ayron Jones and the Way puts on a real show and a real performance.”

Seattle rapper and song writer, Shelton Harris will be headlining the day stage at 10:00 p.m. Friday.

Harris said he enjoys performing for college students because his music, inspired by artists such as Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore, is being delivered directly to their key demographic.

“I just hope everybody that makes it out has a blast,” Harris said. “It’s an honor to be able to headline the day stage for our first time at Springfest.”

No matter the number of people watching, Harris said the band anticipates putting its best foot forward in the performance.

Other musicians performing this year include Runaway Symphony, Alex Mabey and several D.Js.

Local vendors such as South Fork and Artfully Yours Bakery will also be serving food during the carnival. Regular carnival food will be available as well.

Events will begin on Friday from 5:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. and continue Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Events will be held on Wilson Road and are free to all students.  There is a $10 fee for the public, but children 6 and under are also free.

Tickets for the headlining Snoop Dogg performance are also still available for purchase at www.ticketswest.com.  The performance will be held in Beasley Coliseum and doors open at 7:00 p.m.