Study abroad, not party abroad

International study abroad programs provide students with the opportunity to observe cultures outside of the United States and to exchange ideas with the local people.

About 283,000 students in the United States choose to study abroad, according to the National Association of Foreign Student Advisors. On campus, over 700 students participate in such programs, according to WSU’s International Programs.

With growing interest in study abroad curriculums, students may be tempted to enter international programs under the pretext of vacation and frivolous travel rather than academic enrichment.

Facebook, Twitter and other social media sometimes paints study abroad programs in an overly glamorous light, suggesting the misconception that participants of such experiences constantly party and participate in the vibrant local nightlife.

This misleading notion may cause students to stray from the intended goal of study abroad programs.

While students may choose to enjoy the perks of their newfound environment, they must focus on the main purpose of their travels: academic growth and cultural experience.

Students who squander their time may do so, but such behavior does not come without costs.

Academics still play an important role in international studies. Students must do the work to earn their credits. The failure to maintain grades will reflect poorly on their permanent transcripts and may have negative ramifications concerning financial aid or job opportunities.

“It’s exactly what the name implies though. It’s study abroad, not travel abroad. It’s education abroad,” said Anjie Bertramson, the advisor and faculty-led program coordinator at WSU’s International Programs’ office.

I have advised students who come in and tell me about travel as their main goal and that’s when we kind of sit back and say, well travel abroad is one thing but then maybe study abroad is not right for you,” Bertramson said.

Study abroad programs are a sought-after privilege. Such programs offer students the unique chance to travel and see the world, but it is up to students to make the most from their experiences both academically and from a cultural perspective.  

Such programs demonstrate great benefits to students who partake in them. Eighty percent of study abroad students reported that their experience allowed them to adapt better to a diverse workplace environment, according to the American Institute for Foreign Study.

Additionally, 90 percent of study abroad alumni found jobs within six months of graduation compared to only 49 percent of graduates in the general population who found work within a year, according to an IES Abroad survey.

With such advantages, it is no wonder students are integrating international programs into their college experience, but only dedicated, academically-minded individuals have the potential to excel in study abroad programs.

Students who wish to spend a summer or academic semester away from the United States should evaluate their intentions in choosing a program before committing.

While jet setting may be fun, students must remember the goals they had in mind when they first set out.

The aim of the game has always been life lessons and learning, not leisure.

– Michelle Chan is a sophomore animal science major from Phoenix, Ariz. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.