Athlete of the Week: McKenna Woodford

Senior outside hitter has standout game scoring 22 kills, has been impact player on team whole career

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Senior outside hitter McKenna Woodford attempts to receive a strike from the University of Colorado on Sept. 30 in Bohler Gym.

SHAWN P. O'CONNOR, Evergreen reporter

Senior outside hitter McKenna Woodford led the Cougars in kills in a four-set match against University of California, Berkeley, on Sunday, earning her Evergreen Athlete of the Week honors.

Woodford accumulated 22 kills and tallied two blocks in the match. WSU lost the first set, before taking the second set but in the end the Golden Bears won the final two sets to grab the victory.

Woodford also looked solid in a three-set loss to No. 2 Stanford University on Friday, recording six kills, good for second on the team.

The Columbus, Ohio, native has had an outstanding career in Pullman. As a freshman, Woodford made an immediate impact. Her 3.16 kills per set and 3.74 points per set were good for second-best on the team. She was awarded two Pac-12 Freshman of the Week awards before being selected to the Pac-12 All-Freshman First Team.

Woodford’s sophomore season was also impressive as she earned a spot on the Pac-12 All-Academic First Team. She was selected to the U.S. Collegiate National Team – Europe Tour team, which won the 12th annual Global Challenge Tournament in Croatia.

Woodford earned another invitation in her junior season to the U.S. Collegiate National Team – Thailand Tour team for matches during summer 2017.

This season, Woodford is off to a successful start. She has recorded 199 kills this season and 2.97 kills per set, both good for second on the team. Her 37 total blocks are good for fourth on the team and her 63 digs are good for sixth. Woodford has 220.5 points this season, second-most on the team.

Woodford’s senior season has been important for the Cougs as her offensive presence is one of the reasons WSU volleyball is ranked No. 23 in the nation. A 13-4 start to the season for this team is good and Woodford has had a big impact on the team starting the year strong.