Lights, camera, activists

In the midst of cruelty to animals, the dilemma of the modern animal rights activist comes to light. The choice between calling the police and filming an undercover documentary at the expense of the animals seems to be a tough one, making the only innocent party in animal cruelty the animals themselves.

The choice between calling the police and filming an undercover documentary at the expense of the animals seems to be a tough one, making the only innocent party in animal cruelty the animals themselves.

A recently passed bill in Idaho which would jail activists who illegally film animal abuse instead of contacting the authorities, casts the true motive of animal activists in doubt. Animal activists are unfortunately portrayed as the foot soldiers in the battle for animal welfare, but progress in the wellbeing of animals is actually more due to farmers.

The bill, which passed the Idaho House 56-14 earlier this month, is headed to Gov. C. L. “Butch” Otter to be signed into law, according to the Associated Press.

The unfortunate misnomer of ‘ag gag law’ has condemned this law in the eyes of the public.

Regardless, these laws are designed to protect farmers, not to promote animal abuse. There is a current lack of legislation to protect farmers from the agendas of animal activists. As many such groups are funded through donations, there is a profit for these groups in high publicity undercover operations featuring animal abuse.

Videos released from animal rights groups can be edited, filmed on a separate location, or even staged, but the fallout for any targeted farmer is the same. Farmers simply suspected of animal abuse in today’s polarized atmosphere of consumer interest are sure to lose everything.

Mercy for Animals, an animal activist group, said the new legislation is a “blatant violation of free speech” and a “desperate attempt to sweep evidence of animal cruelty under the rug,” according to ABC News.

Nathan Runkle, the founder of Mercy for Animals, even went so far as to say the Idaho dairy industry knows “that their hideously cruel practices can’t stand the light of day or the heat of public scrutiny,” according to the ABC News article.

Dairy farmers do their best to keep their animals comfortable. They implement cow comfort standards and pay more attention to the health of their animals than even the most prudent of pet owners. Runkle’s broad-sweeping claim that animal abuse is prevalent among all dairy farms in Idaho is unfounded.

The Bettencourt scandal of 2012 was able to convict several employees on the account of animal abuse after Mercy for Animals posted an undercover video detailing animal abuse at the Idaho Bettencourt dairy, according to the LA Times.

Letting abuse continue because it makes better propaganda demonstrates the same poor moral fiber necessary to mistreat animals.

Animal rights activists are not responsible for paving the way for better animal welfare. Farmers and animal scientists have shouldered that responsibility. Contrary to popular belief, farmers do what they do because they love animals and they believe in feeding the ever-expanding world population. 

Many agricultural programs have been developed to increase animal welfare and the knowledge of those who work with animals. According to Michigan State University, low-stress cattle handling improves the performance and wellbeing of dairy and beef animals.

Cruelty to animals is unacceptable, and Idaho’s new law can protect livestock from animal activists who put documentaries above the needs of the animals.

Idaho’s new legislation will ensure a lack of profit for animal rights groups in perpetuating the myth that animal abuse and agriculture are synonymous. 

– Corrine Harris is a senior animal science major from Edmonds. She can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.