Read before you weed

Cassie Hickam smokes marijuana at a pub in Olympia, Wash., July 11, 2013.

I-502 legalized marijuana in Washington state, but the unclear initiative leads some marijuana users into just as much trouble as before.

Since the introduction of I-502, many Washington residents lack understanding about the laws surrounding marijuana and are unaware of the initiative’s copious regulations that can leave marijuana users in legal trouble.

Steve Hansen, the WSU assistant police chief, said there are a number of misconceptions from the initiative that lead offenders to believe they have not violated the law.

There is a simple solution to this problem: marijuana users must read the initiative to know what is legal about marijuana and what is not.

As Washington state and the Pullman City Council get closer to opening the emporiums that will sell marijuana to the public, there couldn’t be a better time for those that use or plan to use the drug to get familiarized with marijuana regulations.

Hansen said one of the most popular misconceptions among college students is that marijuana is legal for anyone over the age of 18. However, the law states that one must be at least 21 years old to leally use marijuana.

Another I-502 misconception is where marijuana can be used without breaking the law, which despite marijuana’s decriminalization is still prohibited in any public setting.

While many marijuana users understand the substance is restricted in public, understanding what ‘public’ means is another aspect of the initiative that misleads the marijuana faithfuls that I-502 is supposed to protect, Hansen said.

According to the initiative, any place that can be seen by the public is considered a public space.

This means I-502 restricts marijuana consumption in the homes of those who choose to use marijuana, if you can be seen through a window, or from the street.  

Besides misleading pot smokers, it seems marijuana’s legalization up to this point has only corralled marijuana users where they have always been confined: out of the public eye.

Another I-502’s lack of clarity increases vulnerability for marijuana smokers is its regulation for driving while under the influence.

The initiative looks to enforce restrictions on how much marijuana can be consumed to operate a vehicle by tracking THC levels in the body.

However, depending on how often and how much marijuana is consumed, these levels could indicate drivers are under the influence long after their high has faded away, according to The New York Times.

Unfortunately for marijuana users who choose to drive under aftersmoking, if this is how drivers are tested, then many marijuana smokers could be charged with DUIs they didn’t know they were committing.

Al Sorensen, a member of the Pullman City Council, also recognizes the difficulties that are presented in tracking drivers who are under the influence of marijuana.

Sorensen said although marijuana is being regulated similar to alcohol it’s important for users to understand that marijuana is more difficult to gauge as opposed to alcohol, for which Breathalyzers can be easily purchased.

Regarding misconceptions surrounding I-502, Fritz Hughes, another Pullman City Council member, said, “A lot of people don’t understand the ramifications (because they) only have a little bit of knowledge.”

It’s likely most people who choose to exercise their right to smoke marijuana haven’t read the initiative entirely or at all, but with marijuana emporiums expected to open soon, now is the time to understand I-502 and not be misguided.

-Josh Babcock is a senior communication major from Pullman. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.