‘WSU baseball takes down Arizona’

Junior catcher P.J. Jones went 3 for 5 and drove in three runs to lead the WSU Cougars to a 6-5 come-from-behind win against the Arizona Wildcats on Saturday night. 

The Cougars trailed 5-4 heading into the top of ninth inning, but with runners at second and third and two outs, Jones hit a high chopper up the middle that neither the shortstop or second baseman could handle in time. Jones made it to first base safely, and both runners came around to score to give the Cougars the lead. 

Freshman Ian Hamilton shut the door in the bottom half of the ninth, and struck out the final two batters to end the game. 

Junior outfielder Yale Rosen went 4 for 5 with two doubles on Saturday, and redshirt sophomore designated hitter Ben Roberts stayed hot on the road trip, going 3 for 3 with an RBI. 

The Cougar offense pressured redshirt sophomore starter Cody Hamlin for four runs, three earned, before he exited after 7 1/3 innings. Jones hit the single that would win the game against freshman Bobby Dalbec, who took the loss. 

Junior Joe Pistorese started for the Cougars and gave up all five of the Wildcats’ runs in 6 1/3 innings. Sophomore shortstop Kevin Newman did everything he could to put Arizona on top, going 3 for 5 at the plate and driving in three runs, but it was not enough as the WSU bullpen did not break. 

The third and final game of the series will begin Sunday at noon.