Get cultured during Dad’s Weekend

Exhibition will feature traditional dance performances, dinner at club showcase

KIERSTEN BUTTERWORTH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Co-chair Aelizah Espiritu encourages all to visit Exhibition to learn about Pacific Islands on Oct. 24 in the CUB.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen news editor

Dads and students alike have the opportunity to attend a dinner and cultural show this year for Dad’s Weekend.

The Pacific Islanders Club will be hosting its annual Dad’s Weekend Exhibition from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. There will be food and cultural dance performances in the CUB Senior Ballroom.

“[Exhibition] basically highlights everything from the Pacific Islanders … it gives awareness about different cultural dances as well as some traditions,” said Christie Lee, Exhibition co-chair.

Various on-campus groups will be performing choreographed routines for the event. Hawaii Club, Mitamitaga O Samoa and the Japanese Student Association are among the groups contributing dances for the Uniting Cultures theme of the event.

Aelizah Espiritu coordinates the dance presented by the Filipino-American Student Association.

“I’m contributing a dance called Tinikling … it’s one of the most popular in the Philippines,” Espiritu said.

The Tinikling dance originated in the Philippines when farmers would chase Tinikling birds with bamboo sticks to prevent them from destroying crops, she said. The dancers mimic the “skillful and graceful” nature of the birds.

There will be 10 dance performances for attendees to watch during Exhibition. There will also be traditional dishes from the Pacific Islands, including shoyu chicken, macaroni salad and kalua pork. This event will be interactive and will also offer raffles and prizes, said Olivia Tung, Exhibition co-chair.

Students and dads are welcome and encouraged to attend the event whether or not they identify as Pacific Islander.

“Something like Exhibition is really important so that people can learn more and experience other peoples’ cultures so they can appreciate them more,” Espiritu said.

Presale tickets guarantee food for attendees during the event and are available to students for $13 and to the general public for $15. Tickets at the door are $15 for students and $18 for the general public.