Vote. Rock it.

Brandon Ghorley plays the piano with THE BGP during a Rock the Vote concert in the CUB Auditorium, Tuesday, March 11.

The Associated Students of Washington State University concluded the first day of its presidential elections with a jazz-fueled rock show yesterday evening in the CUB Auditorium.

At center stage was THE BGP, a Seattle-based trio best known for its performances in the sixth season of America’s Got Talent. The band, self-described as “West Coast blue-eyed soul,” has also opened for Allen Stone and Fitz and The Tantrums.

The show, titled Cougs Rock the Vote, was coordinated by ASWSU in conjunction with the Student Entertainment Board.

ASWSU presidential candidate Jared Powell said the event was an effort to encourage students to vote.

ASWSU Vice President Kevin Massimino said the advent of HTML5 has enabled students to vote easily online.

“We’re anticipating a pretty large turnout,” he said of the election, noting roughly a third of the student population voted in 2012, and about 18 percent voted in 2013.

Students can vote online. A link to the voting interface was emailed to the student body yesterday.

Powell, the ASWSU director of finance, has campaigned for several weeks alongside Senate Pro-Tempore LaKecia Farmer, who hopes to become the vice president.

Also campaigning are Marissa Hice for president and Shawn Santomassimo for vice president. Both are directors on the ASWSU executive board.

B. Ghorley, the lead singer of The BGP, thanked Massimino for inviting the band to play at WSU. Massimino was impressed by the band’s performance at The Cougar Cottage in October 2013.

“He is the sole reason we are here, and he also happens to be a huge John Mayer fan,” Ghorley said as he bent the first few notes Mayer’s “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.”

Guitarist Dustin Blatnik said The BGP is always excited to perform in Eastern Washington.

“This area is so special to us,” Blatnik said. “We just love the kids here. This is kind of our place to play in Washington.”

The show was the first of six on The BGP’s Field Trip 2014 tour, which has destinations in Spokane and Seattle as well as Treefort Music Fest in Boise, Idaho.

The band will play at 6 this evening in the Memorial Gym at University of Idaho. Admission is free for U of I students and $5 for the general public.