Green for goals: Kappa Delta sorority hosts philanthropy for abused children

Hundreds of WSU Greek and non-Greek students packed Martin Stadium Sunday, braving the intermittent rain through fast-paced games of soccer as a way to raise money for charity.

The Kappa Delta sorority hosted Shamrock 2014, where students from across the WSU community came together for a good cause. Fraternities, sororities and non-Greeks participated in a five-on-five soccer tournament and other events throughout the day in recognition of abused children and the disabled throughout America.

“Shamrock is a really big deal for Kappa Deltas across the nation,” said junior communication major Meaghan McGlynn, also a member of Kappa Delta.

McGlynn, one of the chief organizers of Shamrock 2014, said monetary donations are collected from student registries and designated toward Prevent Child Abuse America and Families Together, a local charity that assists families and children with disabilities.

“Children are still forgotten, even the ones that get abused, and it’s a really great opportunity for us to recognize them as somebody that needs to be helped,” she said.

McGlynn said more than just goals between two orange cones were scored yesterday. Goals were scored for those experiencing hardship.

“To be able to hold this event and help children, even in an indirect way, it’s a great way to get people outdoors doing what they love and also giving back to the community that needs it the most,” McGlynn said.

Ivan Fiedler, a freshman and member of the Alpha Kappa Lambda fraternity, admitted he’s not much of a soccer player. However, Fiedler said he was playing the pitch with his fellow fraternity brothers for fun.

“We got dominated but it’s still fun,” he said. “I’m a wrestler and a football player but it was still fun to go out there learning how to play a little bit.”

Nick Hoslar, one of Fiedler’s fraternity brothers and teammates, said it’s important for Greek Life to be seen in a positive light.

“It’s about helping charities out, having fun and doing some sports,” Hoslar said.

Families Together is a Pullman-based non-profit organization founded in 1986. McGlynn said 80 percent of the proceeds will go to Families Together and 20 percent to Prevent Child Abuse America.

In addition to the soccer tournament, proceeds came from a wing eating contest, a charity themed trivia game and a raffle for Girl Scout Cookies and College Hill merchandise.

The Palouse Thunder Football team also donated money.

McGlynn estimated that, as of Sunday, at least $2,000 has been raised.