Students protest police sergeant

Hargraves was arrested for alleged sexual misconduct, released on recognizance

Isabell+Wyll%2C+senior+social+science+major%2C+protests+the+release+of+Sgt.+Dan+Hargraves+on+Thursday+on+the+Glenn+Terrell+Friendship+Mall.+Hargraves+was+arrested+for+first+degree+custodial+sexual+misconduct+on+Oct.+30.+

Students protest police sergeant

Isabell Wyll, senior social science major, protests the release of Sgt. Dan Hargraves on Thursday on the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall. Hargraves was arrested for first degree custodial sexual misconduct on Oct. 30.

PAIGE CAMPBELL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

PAIGE CAMPBELL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

PAIGE CAMPBELL | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

A student-led protest against the release of Pullman Police Department Sgt. Dan Hargraves, who was charged with first-degree custodial sexual misconduct involving a female WSU student, took place Thursday on the Glenn Terrell Friendship Mall.

“The police have nothing to do with court decisions and the release of subjects in custody,” Pullman Police Chief Gary Jenkins said. “Those decisions are solely at the discretion of the sitting judge.”

Hargraves was arrested on Oct. 30 and released on his own recognizance, protest coordinator Mary LaLone said. The alleged assault occurred March 30.

“[We want to] raise awareness and encourage people to participate in the protest,” LaLone said. “Letting people know that there are options out there [that can] change the world.”

This incident was not the first for Hargraves, LaLone said. He had previously been accused of improper behavior towards a female colleague in 2016.

“The pattern of sexual misconduct should have been enough for a person to be fired from their position of authority,” she said.

The investigation on Hargraves was six months long and Hargraves has been on administrative leave or desk duty since April.

The investigation was conducted by Washington State Patrol, Jenkins said.

“We had no control over the length of the investigation,” he said. “We asked WSP to conduct a thorough investigation, and they did.”

After Hargraves was reported by his colleague, he was recommended to supervisory counseling and required to read over policy regarding sexual misconduct.

He should have had a stricter punishment, LaLone said, explaining that he assaulted the student while on duty.

“[Hargrave’s] job … has given him leeway with the criminal justice system,” she said. “He’s a white male in a position of power.”

Hargraves has been on the police force for 19 years and has served as sergeant for 14 years.

Pullman Police launched its own internal investigation following the completion of WSP’s criminal investigation of Hargraves, Jenkins said. This separation ensures there is no conflict with the criminal investigation, he said.

LaLone said students should be angry because this is not an isolated incident, the issue is big.

“I want people to see what we are doing and realize what is happening,” LaLone said. “I want people to be motivated to speak up and make a difference.”

Hargraves was released Oct. 30 and will appear in court for his arraignment Friday, according to court documents.

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

Jayce is a freshman double majoring in multimedia journalism and political science. Jayce prefers they/them pronoun, and loves Harry Potter and Lord of...