Satire: Abandoned students give insight on being alone for holiday

Individuals who stay on campus depend on friendsgiving for love

Stock up on junk food and cry about your abandonment with your friends — that's the only way to celebrate Thanksgiving when you can't make it home.

NICK SANDIFER | EVERGREEN CARTOONIST

NICK SANDIFER | EVERGREEN CARTOONIST

NICK SANDIFER | EVERGREEN CARTOONIST

MARA JOHNSON, Evergreen columnist

Thanksgiving is a time for enjoying your family and spreading love, but those who stay in Pullman must find ways to make the most of their time away from home.

When students or families can’t afford a trip back home for the holidays, young adults are stuck on campus with only friends and other residents to keep them company. Additionally, they have to rely on Walmart and fast food to feed them during the breaks. To make matters more difficult, Pullman mostly shuts down during holiday breaks.

Spending your Thanksgiving break in Pullman means you will have to deal with dwindling food supplies, be subjected to cabin fever and make mistakes. Welcome to friendsgiving at WSU.

With this in mind, it is strongly advised that those staying in Pullman should stock up on as much food as possible including junk snacks, according to students who were left behind to survive on their own.

Anna Mull, a junior studying animal sciences, said she wasn’t able to go back home in Oklahoma because of financial constrictions. However, she manages to make the lonely break bearable.

“I like how quiet it gets … it’s nice to go everywhere in my pajamas and do whatever I want, like singing like Offset while walking around campus,” Mull said. “It’s real nice — I’d highly suggest staying at school.”

Having other sad friends who were left behind is great so you can have company for the holiday, she said. There might be tears as you gather together rather than with family, but just ignore it — the rivers of tears will dry up with time. Waking up at 1 p.m. and staying in sweats all day is sad enough, but when you do it with other people it’s OK.

Jordon Ramsay, a junior studying food science and business, has never gone back home for Thanksgiving break. Ramsay said it is “a waste of time” and nothing is better than cooking and chilling with friends.

Michael Roth, a freshman and undeclared major, is not used to being away from his beloved family for the glorified turkey holiday.

“Who wouldn’t be nervous about being away from their mom for so long?” Roth said. “I miss having her tell me bedtime stories … I swear it’s a completely healthy and normal relationship.”

However, he said he wants to incorporate his traditions with his mom into friendsgiving.

“Hopefully I can make some friends soon,” Roth said. “We could have a potluck and maybe binge watch ‘The Office.’ ”

There’s no doubt nothing is better than a hot homemade meal and gossiping with family about which old classmates have been arrested or which neighbors got divorced. However, it’s possible to have a fantastic potluck anyway, especially without those terrible place mats your grandma makes you use.

Get together in a kitchen, listen to some music and cook with your closest friends who didn’t abandon you. Friendsgiving is full of twists and turns if you want it to be or it could be just like a traditional Thanksgiving. Enjoy your free time no matter what your plans are or who you’re with.

MARA JOHNSON, Evergreen columnist

Mara Johnson is a freshman English major from Bellevue, WA.