Indecency in a bikini

If you like coffee and sex appeal, you’re in luck. Bikini baristas in coffee stands offer both at the same time.

But unfortunately for coffee lovers, it’s becoming more popular that coffee stands combining sex and their product focus more on the sex aspect of the business, a shift that raises the question: Are bikini baristas suitable for all ages?

Although some coffee stands’ employees are referred to as bikini baristas, businesses consider wearing skimpy lingerie as an appropriate work uniform.

It’s a violation of the first amendment for the government to regulate the clothing worn by baristas, but the true issue is the attire is not appropriate for families with young children or America’s young teens.

At some coffee stands, baristas get as close to nude as wearing pasties, leaving nothing to the imagination.

It is these types of coffee stands that test public nudity’s limits and beg the question of whether or not young teens and children should be subject to this sort of sexual exposure.

In November 2013, the Spokane Valley City Council unanimously passed an ordinance inspired by bikini baristas, which requires at least half of a woman’s breast to be covered and prohibits transparent clothing that could also be revealing to the public.

The ordinance was encouraged by a bikini barista stand that advertised topless Tuesdays and Thursdays, in which baristas wore as little as a G-String and pasties.

This solution is a move in the right direction to keep bikini baristas in their bathing suits rather than wearing close to nothing; however, there is no solution to shield children’s eyes from the conduct taken place lately at bikini barista stands.

According to The Huffington Post, last October in Everett three baristas were arrested after two of them violated the city’s cabaret law and the third was charged with lewd conduct.

The previous February, three baristas were arrested in for allegedly selling strip shows at their Grab-N-Go coffee stand.

How can we allow our kids to be subject to the same happenings that take place at a strip club?

Although the ordinance passed in Spokane Valley was a good measure to keep bikini baristas out of sight from young children and teens, the only way to ensure that the youth aren’t subject to the sexual activities bikini baristas are becoming known for is to require an age restriction of at least 18 years on the coffee stands.

There is no room in a family friendly atmosphere for the inappropriate conduct bikini baristas represent. It seems as though simply grabbing a cup of Joe is now a thing of the past when your coffee is served with a side of indecency.

– Josh Babcock is a senior communication major from Pullman. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of Student Publications.