Winterfest kicks off celebration in Colfax

Event includes parade, gift requests for Santa, about 25 Christmas trees

The annual Winterfest celebration will feature a parade, fireworks, free hot cocoa and meetings with Santa. The gift request with Santa began in the 1950s and more activities were added 10 years ago to create the event.

COURTESY OF KRISTIE KIRKPATRICK

COURTESY OF KRISTIE KIRKPATRICK

COURTESY OF KRISTIE KIRKPATRICK

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

The Whitman County Library is partnering with the Colfax Chamber of Commerce to bring Winterfest to Colfax with a Santa Claus meet-and-greet, Parade of Lights and Festival of Trees and Art created by locals.

The annual event will start at 2:30 p.m. Dec. 6 in the Colfax Library.

Winterfest will be a decade old this year, said Kristie Kirkpatrick, director of the Whitman County Library. However, the library has been hosting Santa Claus since the 1950s.

“This event connects the community,” Kirkpatrick said. “People are always looking for traditions that they can share with their families and friends.”

After visiting Santa Claus, children are invited to take part in a petting zoo outside of the library. Starting at 3 p.m. there will be a hot cocoa center, Kirkpatrick said.

The parade across Colfax will include several automobiles decorated in lights and other festive items.

“There are fun light-up tractors just completely covered in Christmas lights,” Kirkpatrick said.

About 25 Christmas trees will be displayed during the Festival of Trees and there will also be artwork presented to the public, Kirkpatrick said.

Three trees on display are decorated by two groups of WSU interior design students. Some students also contributed trees last year, she said. ASWSU Student Veterans Committee will also present a tree.

Participants in the event will vote on the trees for different categories and winners will be announced Dec. 19 during another winter reception hosted by the library.

“This really makes the holiday season special,” Kirkpatrick said. “It all contributes to making these small towns a great place to live.”

Those interested in participating in the parade can contact Colfax Chamber of Commerce at 509-553-9729. For more information regarding the event, contact Whitman County Library at 877-733-3375 or 509-397-4366.

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

Jayce is a Freshman double majoring in multimedia journalism and political science. Jayce prefers they/them pronoun, and loves Harry Potter and Lord of...