Rocky road ; Washington State falls to Colorado

Sophomore forward Junior Longrus attempts a layup during a road game against Colorado, Wednesday, Feb. 5.

With less than 50 seconds remaining in the game, WSU junior guard DaVonte Lacy dribbled the ball up the court knowing his team was down by seven points. The 6 foot 4, 215-pound guard penetrated the Colorado defense hoping to draw a foul but instead turned the ball over, which summed up the night for the Cougars. The 17 turnovers by WSU (9-13, 2-8) resulted in a 68-63 loss to the Colorado Buffaloes (17-6, 6-4).

The Buffaloes took advantage and scored 14 points off the WSU turnovers.

In the first half, Lacy’s play kept the Cougars in the game, and he scored the team’s first five points. The Buffaloes pulled ahead early by taking an eight-point lead with 10:34 left in the first half.

However, Lacy continued to lead the Cougars on offense by knocking down back-to-back 3-pointers to tie the game at 18 with less than four minutes left in the first half. Although the Cougars turned the ball over nine times in the first half, they managed to trail by a score of 23-20 at halftime.

Colorado finally found their offense early on in the second half by going on an 11-2 run to start off the half. The hot shooting of Colorado sophomore forward Xavier Johnson and junior guard Askia Booker helped the Buffaloes take a 13-point lead with 12 minutes left in the game. After Booker hit a 3-pointer to put his team up by a score of 47-33, it seemed as if the game was out of reach for the Cougars.

However, WSU did not back down. The Cougars continued to fight, and Lacy led the way. He hit two free throws to cut the deficit to 11 with four minutes left in the game. The two free throws by Lacy helped generate the run. The Cougars cut the deficit to single digits when WSU redshirt senior forward D.J. Shelton hit a 3-pointer with two minutes left in the game. Lacy’s turnover in the end with less than 40 seconds in the game killed the team’s chances of a comeback and their first Pac-12 road win of the season. Booker hit two free throws in the end to seal the game.

Lacy scored a career-high 34 points on 10-of-19 shooting from the field, 8-of-13 from three-point range and a perfect 6-of-6 from the foul line in the loss. The rest of the team shot 11-of-30 from the field. WSU freshman guard Ike Iroegbu finished second on the team in scoring with 10 points on 4-of-6 shooting from the field. No other Cougar scored in double figures.

WSU was outrebounded 32-28 by the Buffaloes, and Shelton had a game-high 11 rebounds.

The Cougars will continue to look for their first road win of the season when they play the Utah Utes (14-7, 3-6) at 5 p.m. Saturday on Pac-12 Networks.