Greasy stove ignites Thomas Street kitchen

From staff reports

The Pullman Fire Department responded at about 6:30 p.m. to a grease fire at a duplex on the 300 block of Northwest Thomas Street.

Firefighters extinguished the flames shortly after they arrived on scene.

The fire started on the wall nearest to the stove and spread upward behind the cabinets, Assistant Chief Ryan Scharnhorst said.

Scharnhorst said there was “no extension,” meaning there was no unseen residual smoldering that could result in another fire.

“We did a quick knock-down and put it out before it spread,” he said.

Damage to the building was minimal, and the occupants returned inside. Natural gas was restored to most parts of the building.

“We’re very fortunate,” Scharnhorst said. “I looked inside, and I could see active fire.”