Double-major looks toward grad school, social work

Kessel has been active on campus through her sorority, Access Center

JENIN REYES | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

“Get involved and branch out,” soon-to-be graduate Kaleigh Kessel says, while expressing her aspirations for helping others and how her inspiration stems from social work in the CUB Thursday afternoon.

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

Kaleigh Kessel is graduating this semester with hopes of one day becoming a social worker or teacher.

“I want to have an impact on people’s lives,” Kessel said. “I was drawn to social work first. It seemed like it connects most to my major and the opportunities I have had. Both my parents work in education, so that is something I am drawn to as well.”

Kessel is graduating Saturday with a major in social science, an additional major in philosophy and a minor in ethics.

She plans on working in Pullman for the spring semester. She said she then wants to apply to graduate school at University of Denver and University of Colorado Denver to obtain a master’s degree in education or social work.

Kessel came to WSU from her hometown of Denver, Colorado, she said.

“I came to WSU because I like the small-town feel with still a large student body,” she said.

Kessel has been an active member of the Alpha Omicron Phi sorority leadership council for the past two years. This includes being the risk manager for her sorority house.

She also has worked at the Access Center on campus for the past three semesters.

“The Access Center generally provides accommodations for students with documented disabilities,” Kessel said.

At the center, she is responsible for multiple tasks. She works at the front desk for the majority of the time, she said, which involves coordinating with students, parents and faculty.

She also schedules appointments, starts the process of accommodation for many students and plans activities for the office, Kessel said.

“I’m proud of being so involved outside of school so I could further my education instead of just going to my classes,” she said.

Kessel said her favorite part of WSU is how it is in the middle of nowhere and many people think there is nothing to do, but there always is something going on.

“There is a sense of community and I get the sense that everyone loves being a Coug,” she said.

During Kessel’s time at WSU, she said the social and professional connections she has made have allowed her to find success. She also offered advice for students not yet graduating.

“Get involved and branch out,” she said. “Whether it is getting to know people that are down the hall from you when you live in the residence halls, or if you want to join a Greek organization.”