Gone like the wind; QB chooses to leave

After spending two seasons with the Washington State football program, WSU redshirt freshman quarterback Austin Apodaca decided to leave the Palouse and find a new home at the collegiate level.

Apodaca verbally committed to the Cougars when former WSU football Head Coach Paul Wulff was in charge of the program, and officially signed with the program when Mike Leach took over as head coach.

Apodaca redshirted his freshman year in 2012 and got his opportunity to compete for the starting quarterback job during spring ball in 2013, but he lost the job to WSU redshirt junior quarterback Connor Halliday.

“He thoroughly enjoyed his time as a student-athlete at WSU,” said Mike Apodaca, Austin’s father. “He will finish the semester at WSU and will then look to transfer to another school to finish his education and football endeavors.”

However, Apodaca got the opportunity to see the field during the 2013 season. He completed 21 of 42 passes for 187 yards, two interceptions, and two touchdowns during the 2013 season.

Austin said he told coaches earlier last week about his decision to transfer. He has not indicated on which school he will transfer to, but there is a possibility he could end up at the University of South Florida to play under new offensive coordinator Wulff, who first recruited him to WSU.

“He would like to thank the cougar football fans, the university and his coaches for the opportunity to represent WSU,” Mike Apodaca said. “He wishes his teammates good luck and will be following their continued success.”