Student senate confirms three new members

With multiple candidates from which to choose, ASWSU filled the three vacant positions for the all-campus senator seats.

Seven candidates showed up to Wednesday’s senate meeting to make their case before the senate about their eligibility for the seat.

After a brief election Hector Zurita, Selamawit Gizatu and Mark Anthony were announced as new all-campus senators.

“It’s really great to see how many of you showed up today, it really shows volume for this organization,” said Kevin Massimino, ASWSU vice president.

One by one the senate did a brief introduction for each of the seven candidates while the other six waited out in the lobby of the CUB.

“I try to get involved as much as I can,” said Zurita. “When I heard about this ASWSU position, I knew that it was something that I wanted to do.”

While there is a representative senator from each college at WSU, all-campus senators are representatives of every student at the university.

Turnover throughout the year within the senate and executive branch is normal.

“There wasn’t a time long ago that we had to bend arms just to get people to apply,” Massimino said. “Seeing the competitiveness shows how healthy we are right now.”

Immediately following the vote the newly appointed senators were asked to join the rest of the senators at the tables. The new senators already have plans for getting involved within the senate as well as the student body.

Anthony, said he plans on working with other senators for a tobacco-free campus.

“I don’t have anything against smoking, I just think it’s a common courtesy for students,” Zurita said.

Gizatu said she plans to work with international students and to provide outreach and education to them for services.

The senate also passed a bill aimed to provide for more staff or office hours for ASWSU executive branch.

Amita Jain, senate finance chair, said the senate budget council recommended the increase in available compensation last week.

Massimino said one of the issues the senate noticed was some of the director positions received a lot fewer hours than other positions. This led to students within those positions leaving prematurely to other jobs.

“This will allow us to increase our numbers in staff and hopefully allow us to be more successful,” Massimino said.