Response mixed to WSU’s new alcohol rule

WSU fraternities must choose between alcohol and housing freshmen.

According to a message from WSU President Elson S. Floyd, beginning in fall 2014 fraternities that house freshmen must be alcohol-free.

This is one of many decisions made by the university to watch out for students’ safety, Dean of Students Melynda Huskey said.

Floyd appointed a commission to evaluate the best practices for Greek students. The commission included the Greek Alumni Organization, Fraternity and Sorority Coalition Assessment, the Interfraternity Council (IFC), and a board of governors and advisers.

“It did give us an opportunity as an institution to think carefully about what we are doing to foster healthy behavior and positive choices among students,” Huskey said.

The agreement is similar to the rules regarding alcohol that freshmen must abide by in the residence halls, Huskey said. Residence halls have a strict underage no-alcohol rule. The university does not regulate where students live once they are sophomores.

Zach DiSalvo, president of Phi Gamma Delta, said he knew this was going to happen but was under the impression the agreement would not be implemented until fall 2015.

“It’s unfortunate it came this quickly,” DiSalvo said.

Adam Crouch, IFC president, said he thought fraternities would be given a grace period during which the chapters would have a chance to resolve things on their own.

“It’s going to change a lot of the ways the Greek community is functioning,” Crouch said.

The agreement also stated more full-time university employees will be involved with Greek affairs, Crouch said.

“I’m extremely excited that we will be getting more help,” he said. “Our job is to be a liaison between the university and the chapters.”

Huskey said she hopes freshmen do not join fraternities solely because it provides them with easier access to alcohol.

“People join because they share the values of the organization, they want the connection, the brotherhood, the relationships, and those things won’t be impacted by this decision at all,” Huskey said.

The agreement has been a topic of discussion between the Greek community and the university for more than a year because of frequent alcohol abuse, Huskey said.

“There were alcohol related injuries that happened – the falling out of the balconies and the windows. There were several incidents that catalyzed the conversation,” said Kathy Barnard, the executive director of university communications.

DiSalvo said he is not opposed to the agreement because it gives freshmen more time to develop relationships in the residence halls. Providing space for upperclassmen to live would create more stability, he said.

Freshmen find it difficult to transition from living with their parents to having no rules, DiSalvo said. Those who live in the residence halls for at least a semester have more success than those who move straight into a fraternity.

“Living in a house with 50 guys can get crazy sometimes, and it could have a negative impact on their school,” DiSalvo said.