President Floyd: Greek chapters housing freshmen must be dry

Alcohol will be off-limits next semester in all WSU fraternity and sorority chapters housing freshmen, according to an announcement issued yesterday by WSU President Elson S. Floyd.

“Beginning in Fall 2014 any Greek chapter that wishes to house freshmen must be alcohol-free, that is, they must prohibit alcohol on the property at all times,” Floyd said. “Fraternities that do not house freshmen will be governed by their national or international regulations as well as by Washington law and university policy.”

Floyd and other officials made the decision following recommendations by the Greek Alumni Organization, a small group of WSU alumni he assembled in 2013.

The group reported it “developed a comprehensive plan to address the unprecedented number of Greek chapters that have lost recognition in recent years.”

The most recent of those chapters was the Gamma Delta chapter of Delta Sigma Phi, a national fraternity headquartered in Indianapolis. This chapter was disbanded last month after a stint of disciplinary issues with the university.

Another chapter, Pi Kappa Alpha, lost university recognition in October 2012 and was barred from participating in university-sponsored events and services. The fraternity, also known as Pikes, was charged with acts of dishonesty, reckless endangerment, and infringement of a disciplinary sanction.

Floyd also announced officials are reorganizing the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life, which will become part of the Student Involvement Office.

“I am investing additional funds to support a much larger staff, including a director for fraternity and sorority life, an assistant director for sorority life, an assistant director for fraternity life, and an assistant director for multicultural Greek life,” he said.