Letter from the Mint editor: Brush your teeth with Mint, let our content make you ‘woke’

Mint recommendations welcome; novels, carrier pigeons encouraged

Mint editor Emma Ledbetter plans out the visual aspects and verbiage of her teaser for the front page on Wednesday night in the Evergreen newsroom.

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen mint editor

If you’re reading this, you either have nothing better to do with your time than read the ramblings of a crazed college freshman, or you’re my parents. Hi, Mom and Dad.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Emma Ledbetter and I am the new section editor for Mint. My special skills include being nervous around large groups of people, reading an inordinate number of novels and getting sick at inopportune times.

I am super excited to be the section editor for Mint because writing columns was such an enjoyable part of my first semester at WSU. Unfortunately, I enjoyed writing so much that it started my quarter-life crisis. Now I don’t know if I should switch my major to journalism or continue being the science geek that I have been for so long. But that’s enough about me.

Let’s talk about you. Yes, you, Mint reader.

If you find yourself turning to the oh-so-wonderful arts and culture section on any given Thursday, which column grabs your eye?

Which column is so minty-fresh that you read it instead of brushing your teeth? I don’t think your dentist would recommend that, by the way.

Whatever you like about Mint, I hope that through our hodge-podge of satire, event previews, drink recipes and song suggestions, you are gradually becoming more cultured. Or, as the cool kids say, more “woke.”

If at any point you find that we are not doing our jobs and Mint isn’t minty-fresh enough for your liking, shoot me an email, accost me on campus (actually don’t though) or send me a message via carrier pigeon.

Bearing in mind I have no idea what I’m doing with my life, I am always open to suggestions about content for Mint.

Recall how I mentioned I like novels? I would be ever so much more receptive to recommendations if your carrier pigeon were to also bring me a romance novel. Debbie Macomber, specifically.

If for some reason you don’t have access to a carrier pigeon, you can email me with questions and suggestions at [email protected]

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen mint editor

Emma Ledbetter is a freshman microbiology major from Newcastle, WA.