Week 1

January 8, 2019

After the first week of conference play, this is how the teams line up in the Week 1 Power Rankings.

1. Oregon (13-1, 2-0)

The Ducks opened up Pac-12 Conference play with an 84-71 victory over the University of Washington. The duo of junior guard Sabrina Ionescu and redshirt-sophomore forward Erin Boley look unstoppable right now as they look to be a tough challenge for any Pac-12 team.

1. Stanford (12-1, 2-0)

The Cardinals have regained their form as they have won five games in a row after losing their only game of the season to Gonzaga. They opened up conference play with a win over USC as they look to keep their season rolling.

1. Arizona (12-2, 2-1)

The Wildcats currently lead the Pac-12 with two conference wins over Arizona State and Colorado, however, a relatively easy non-conference schedule leaves them vulnerable. Despite that they have the leading scorer in the Pac-12, redshirt-sophomore guard Aari McDonald, averaging 24.8 points per game.

1. Oregon State (12-2, 2-0)

The Beavers opened conference play with a big win over Washington State with a late three-pointer sealing the game to give the Beavers a big boost to their season. Despite the fact their two losses have come to established programs such as Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

1. UCLA (9-6, 2-1)

The Bruins are currently second in the Pac-12 with their 2-0 record, with wins over USC and a thrilling overtime victory over No. 18 Cal. Despite the 2-0 start to conference play, UCLA was very inconsistent in non-conference play with some extremely lackluster performances.

1.  Arizona State (11-3, 2-1)

ASU opened up their portion of conference play with a tough two game road trip against Arizona and Utah, with the Sun Devils losing to Arizona before squeaking out a close win over Utah.

1. Utah (13-1, 2-1)

The Utes started the season 12-0, winning their first conference game over Colorado before Arizona State defeated them 65-63. The Utes are led by senior forward Megan Huff who is fifth in the Pac-12 with 19.5 points per game

1. Cal-Berkeley (10-3, 1-1)

The Golden Bears had a strong showing in non-conference play, but a loss to UCLA in overtime to start conference play has them towards the bottom of the standings, even though they look to be a top team in the Pac-12.

1. Colorado (10-4, 0-3)

The Buffaloes were able to maneuver through a challenging non-conference with a 10-1 record before opening conference play with losses against Utah and Arizona at home, but they will face a tough stretch on the road ahead.

1. WSU (6-8, 1-2)

The Cougars have turned their season around after a 2-4 start. They started their Pac-12 schedule with a big win over the University of Washington before taking a tough loss to Oregon, however, the Cougars have the second best scorer in the Pac-12 with redshirt-junior forward Borislava Hristova averaging 23.2 points a game.

1. USC (10-4, 0-3)

The Trojans have lost three of their last four games, with two of those three losses coming to crosstown rival UCLA before losing their next game to Stanford. However, it does not get any easier as the Trojans’ next three games come against Cal, Oregon, and Oregon State, the three highest ranked Pac-12 teams in the Associated Press rankings.

1. Washington (7-8, 0-3)

The Huskies have not had the start of the season they were looking to have. After having a decent non-conference showing, they have lost the first two conference games to WSU and Oregon. They will have to turn it around quick if they want to stay in contention this season.

JOHN SPELLMAN, Evergreen reporter

John Spellman is a freshman broadcast news and sports management major from Burbank, Calif., He was escorted out of Pac-12 media day after meeting Mike...

The Daily Evergreen • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in