Films, operas showing at Kenworthy this week

Get cultured with new playings; local theater presents "Boy Erased," "Adriana Lecouvreur," "The Guilty"

The Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in Moscow screens foreign and domestic films throughout the week, often with student discounts.

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JACQUI THOMASSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen reporter

If syllabus week leaves you with extra time on your hands, consider making the journey to the Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre in Moscow to see some new movies.

Get your culture on by seeing any of the operas, international films or lesser-known American movies that are showing this week.

“Boy Erased”

“Boy Erased” is set in 2004 and is the story of a young man, Jared, who is forced to admit to his devoutly religious parents that he has had feelings for men.

Jared’s parents make him attend a gay conversion program, where he must participate in exercises that are meant to reveal his sins. Flashbacks to moments in Jared’s past reveal “gay” moments that have brought him to this point in his life.

The film is based on a true story.

“Boy Erased” is showing Thursday and Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 5 and 8 p.m. and Sunday at 4 and 7 p.m. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased at the door.

“Adriana Lecouvreur”

“Adriana Lecouvreur” is a four-act opera performed in Italian with English subtitles. Anna Netrebko stars as the title character, a young actress who falls in love with a nobleman whom she believes to be a military officer.

The live screening of “Adriana Lecouvreur” is showing Saturday at 9:55 a.m. and Monday at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $20 for the general public and $15 for students, and can be purchased online.

“The Guilty”

“The Guilty” is a Danish film telling the story of a dispatcher, Asger Holm, who receives an emergency call from a kidnapped woman.

He must follow the case without the resources he is used to as a police officer, instead relying on reports of others that gradually reveal a crime much larger than the kidnapping.

You can see “The Guilty” on Jan. 15 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 at the door.

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen mint editor

Emma Ledbetter is a freshman microbiology major from Newcastle, WA.