Student sentenced for rape

Superior Court Judge gives one year in jail to recently convicted

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen reporter

Antonio Abonza, a WSU student, was sentenced to one year in confinement on Wednesday for the rape of a woman in her Pullman apartment on April 14.

Whitman County Superior Court Judge Gary Libey sentenced the 23-year-old after a conviction of 3rd degree felony rape by a jury last month.

He will also spend one year in the custody of the Department of Corrections, cannot legally reside within 800 feet of a public school or university, must register as a sex offender and will pay several fees, said the Whitman County Prosecutor’s Office.

Abonza forced the victim to have intercourse with him after she attempted to say, “No,” several times. Authorities arrested Abonza in early May when he returned to the victim’s apartment uninvited where the victim’s roommate discovered him, according to a Whitman County Prosecutor’s Office press release.

https://dailyevergreen.com/44470/news/wsu-student-convicted-of-rape-by-jury/

Abonza is still listed as a current student, according to the WSU student directory.

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen assistant news editor

Madysen  is a freshman journalism and media production major from Hunters, Washington.