Pac-12 Challenge glows

Staff Reports

The Olympics may be over, but the SRC and UREC are providing a way for students to prove their athletic prowess through the Pac-12 Fitness Challenge this week.

Alex Schisel, UREC marketing assistant, described the event as an opportunity to encourage and raise awareness of healthy living habits among students, staff and faculty members.

“During the challenge participants log minutes and daily activities on laptops set up in the lounge,” Schisel said. “All Pac-12 schools are participating. The school with the most points wins.”

The competition is designed to provide encouragement rather than incentive. When a school wins, they earn bragging rights as the most active student body in the division, Schisel said.

“Last year, UCLA won,” Schisel said. “The year before that, Arizona State University won.”

The winner of the Pac-12 Fitness Challenge will be announced Friday.

This year the event takes a unique turn, beginning today with a glow-in-the-dark celebration that kicks off a series of optional classes and activities provided to supplement daily workouts.

Glow-in-the-dark Zumba takes place from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. this afternoon, shuffling into glow-in-the-dark dubstep yoga from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. From 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., headlamp bouldering on the climbing wall will be made available as well.

Glow sticks, glow-in-the-dark shirts and black lights will intensify all activities for the day, Schisel said.

Outside of the glow-in-the-dark events, the SRC will be hosting its largest dodge ball competition to date. Between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. dodge balls will be provided on Courts 1 and 2 for a continuous game open to anyone in the gym.

Tomorrow, 5-on-5 soccer will be open and free to SRC members. On Wednesday, the climbing wall will host a grand re-opening.

Thursday will reintroduce pink glove boxing with a Fight Night, taking place from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tutorials, active music and free giveaways will be provided during the class.

The Pac-12 Challenge will end Friday with Barre Express, which is a distinct workout that mixes ballet and hip-hop. This will take place from 12:10 to 12:50 p.m.

All of these events are open to students and faculty members. Participants must register with the Pac-12 Fitness Challenge before activities are logged. The SRC will provide laptops in the lobby, but participants can register through their own smartphones as well.

Participants can register online at www.pac12challenge.org. They can also download an app called Preva. Through the website and the app, students, staff and faculty members can track their fitness activity.