2014 Career Expo: Making job connections

A career: it’s the be-all and end-all of college.

An event hosted by the Center for Advising and Career Development (CACD), the 2014 Career Expo, exists to give students the opportunity to make professional connections.

The Career Expo this spring will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 4 in Beasley Coliseum from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Employers visit the Career Expo to meet prospects for internships and full time jobs, said Christie Motley, coordinator of career events for the CACD.

The Career Expo is basically one long row of recruiters from over 100 top companies, said CACD Public Relations student intern Meaghan McGlynn. The employers attending the Career Expo will range from technological to retail.

“There’s something for everyone’s interests,” McGlynn said.

The expo is an important opportunity for students to take because it gives them a chance to secure an internship or full time job before leaving Washington State, Motley said.

“The career expo is so important for anyone trying to get their names known and their foot in the doors of top companies they are interested in,” McGlynn said.

The expo is also great practice for students who may not be comfortable with professional skills, she said.

“Even if you don’t know what you want yet, or aren’t able to get an internship yet, it’s a great look into the professional real world,” she said.

In order to be successful at the expo, students should research companies ahead of time and use that knowledge for successful networking, Motley said.

It is also important to dress professionally and have a resume prepared to show recruiters, McGlynn said.

Researching the companies beforehand and putting their mission statement choice words into your resume is an effective way to stand out against other applicants, she said.

“It makes you not only look like the perfect fit for the job, but also intelligent, self-driven and that you cared enough to do prior research,” she said.

The CACD also offers academic and career coaching, tutoring, and professional development opportunities, Motley said, which may be helpful for the Career Expo and the job hunt that follows.

Students can also go to the CACD for help with resumes and interviewing skills, McGlynn said.