Pullman library set to see several updates in near future

Future improvements focus on expanding technology for patrons

Library Services Director Joanna Bailey discusses the upcoming additional access of Alison online courses at the Neill Public Library in downtown Pullman. The library’s staff want to help more Pullman residents get library cards.

JOSEPH GARDNER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JOSEPH GARDNER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JOSEPH GARDNER | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

Patrons will soon see many updates made to Neill Public Library, including new furniture and available technology.

In November 2018, the city approved the library’s bi-annual budget, said Neill Public Library director Joanna Bailey.

“With the biannual process, we vision, we set goals, we plan and then we fund,” Bailey said.

The library will install new furniture, expand their available technology and stock more books and movies.

“We are kicking this year off in a big way,” Bailey said. “The purchases have been made and we are waiting for the project coordinator to schedule a timeline.”

She said she expects most of the updates to be available in March. They hope to implement the rest of the changes by rest by mid-2019.

The teen section of the library is underutilized and will be updated to increase visitation, she said.

She said despite the popularity of the books, the lack of traction the teen section experiences is due to the quality and placement of the table and seats available. Many patrons tend to grab books from the section, but read them elsewhere in the library.

The children section in the library will also be seeing some new additions, she said. A self-checkout machine will be installed in the section. The addition will allow parents to stay with their children instead of leaving them temporarily unattended or disrupting their learning time to make a trip to the front counter.

To make technology processes more convenient for patrons, the library will also install a Wi-Fi based printer, Bailey said. The printer will receive documents from phones, laptops and tablets without the need to connect the device to the machine. She said they’ll make the mobile print service available to patrons with library cards.

Along with a new printing service, a scanner will also be made available for library patrons, she said.

“There’s a strong focus on technology so we can attract WSU students to the library,” Bailey said. “They can come down, grab pizza and come into the library to do some study sessions, or go old school and grab a DVD.”

An integrated kiosk will be installed in the library, she said. This will allow patrons to pay with debit and credit cards along with the already implemented cash and check transactions.

The library is exploring a partnership with the Pullman school district, she said.

“We are trying to get every child a library card, and not just give them a card, but also teach them how to use the library,” Bailey said.  “If you give them access, but they don’t know how to use a resource, then what good is the access?”

In the near future, the library will also feature programs targeted towards students in middle and high school. The programs will be technology based and include robotics and coding classes, she said.

The library has partnered with the state library and arranged a deal with Microsoft and LinkedIn to obtain the workforce development tool, lynda.com. The program hosts self-directed online learning and will be made available to patrons for free. The resource will be accessible in February, Bailey said.

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

Jayce is a freshman double majoring in multimedia journalism and political science. Jayce prefers they/them pronoun, and loves Harry Potter and Lord of...