The Daily Evergreen

WSU regents will debate school funding

Proposal argues new facility is ‘critical’ to school

WSU+Board+of+Regents+members+Brett+Blankenship%2C+left%2C+Ron+Sims+and+Alyssa+Norris+listen+to+a+discussion+during+the+Regents+meeting+Sept.+21%2C+2017.
Back to Article
Back to Article

WSU regents will debate school funding

WSU Board of Regents members Brett Blankenship, left, Ron Sims and Alyssa Norris listen to a discussion during the Regents meeting Sept. 21, 2017.

WSU Board of Regents members Brett Blankenship, left, Ron Sims and Alyssa Norris listen to a discussion during the Regents meeting Sept. 21, 2017.

MICHAEL LINDER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU Board of Regents members Brett Blankenship, left, Ron Sims and Alyssa Norris listen to a discussion during the Regents meeting Sept. 21, 2017.

MICHAEL LINDER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

MICHAEL LINDER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU Board of Regents members Brett Blankenship, left, Ron Sims and Alyssa Norris listen to a discussion during the Regents meeting Sept. 21, 2017.

CARMEN JARMILLO, Evergreen reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The WSU Board of Regents will begin a two-day retreat for their first meeting of the new year today at SeaTac.

Regents plan to discuss and approve funding for expansions to the Bailey-Brayton Field as well as marketing of WSU’s Cosmic Crisp Apple.

With regards to Bailey-Brayton Field, regents will vote on whether to approve a $10 million project for the construction of a “baseball clubhouse” at the field.

“This facility is considered critical to allow WSU to continue to compete at the highest level with peer programs in the Pac-12 Conference,” the project proposal states.

The new building will hold locker rooms, a pitching lab, academic spaces and meeting rooms for WSU’s baseball program.

According to the funding proposal, 65 percent of the costs will be paid for through donations to the athletics department. The other 35 percent is proposed to come from the university’s general revenue and will be repaid over five years.

On the Cosmic Crisp apple, regents will vote on a proposal to allocate $10.1 million to increase consumer demand for the apples through marketing over the next four years.

According to the proposal, Cosmic Crisp production is on the rise. Supply of the apple will rise to 175,000 40-pound cases available in 2019. This is projected to reach 5 million cases by 2021.

“With such a large supply of Cosmic Crisp apples expected in the market,” the proposal states. “It is in the best interest of Washington growers and WSU to ensure that there is an appropriate, corresponding level of customer demand.”

The marketing campaign will be paid for in full through revenue from Cosmic Crisp royalties, the proposal states.

The two-day meeting begins today at 6 p.m. at Cedarbrook Lodge in SeaTac. It will continue into Friday beginning at 8 a.m.

Leave a Comment

Comments are closed.

Navigate Left
  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    Community honors outgoing provost

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    Final provost applicant talks promotion of nontraditional students, research

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    Students, staff hear from second executive director finalist

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    Second provost candidate shares goals for WSU

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    Office of Outreach and Education finalist hopes to promote diversity, inclusion

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    Guest speaker calls for more diversity at WSU

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    CougsGive will raise funds for WSU organizations

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    S&A committee hears from second round of groups

  • WSU regents will debate school funding

    Administration

    Proposal could fund college of medicine

  • Administration

    Lawsuit against WSU dropped

Navigate Right

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Every student. Every story. Every day.
WSU regents will debate school funding