Track and field dominates competition in New Mexico

Charisma Taylor stands out as Cougs win 10 events in Albuquerque

ABBY LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Senior Keelan Halligan clears the bar in the high jump at the WSU Indoor on Jan. 19 at the Indoor Practice Facility.

SIGMUND SEROKA, Evergreen reporter

WSU track and field split its team to compete in the UW Invitational in Seattle and the New Mexico Team Invitational in Albuquerque last weekend.

The Cougars dominated in New Mexico, claiming 10 event victories.

On the women’s side, senior Regyn Gaffney earned first place in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.55 seconds. Junior Jordyn Tucker finished right behind her in second.

Freshman Charisma Taylor continued her early season dominance as she won the women’s long jump and triple jump, posting personal records in both events. Her mark in the triple jump was a WSU indoor record and her distance in the long jump was ninth-best all-time in program history.

Sophomore Emily Coombs took home a victory in the women’s pole vault with a personal record of 6.03 meters and senior Chrisshnay Brown claimed the women’s shot put.

On the men’s side, junior Emmanuel Wells Jr. sprinted to a win in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.67 seconds and sophomore Jake Ulrich captured the 400-meter title with the 11th best time in the nation.

Ulrich was also a part of the 4×400-meter relay team that took first at the event. Senior Christapherson Grant, freshman Noah Wallace and junior Corey Allen were on the relay team as well.

In the men’s 60-meter hurdles, junior Sam Brixey soared to a victory with a personal record time of 7.84 seconds.

Senior Peyton Fredrickson leaped to an event win in the men’s high jump to cap an impressive showing for WSU.

In Seattle, the Cougars claimed several personal records and freshman Emma Jenkins set a new freshman indoor record in the women’s 3,000-meter.

The Cougars return home to compete in the Cougar Indoor this Friday and Saturday at the Indoor Practice Facility.