Letter from the Mint editor: ‘Full send’ lifestyle is for college students

Don’t limit yourself with weak adventures; try strange food combinations instead of crack

JACQUI THOMASSON | EVERGREEN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen mint editor

I recently decided to live my life with more of a “full send” outlook.

If you know me at all, you know I am definitely not a full send type of gal. I am absolutely not spontaneous — my planner is my life — and I think the phrase “partial send” is probably a safer life motto.

However, there is something about the freedom of a full send that appeals to the college student in me.

After all, doing something with confidence, even if it might be mildly stupid, is really the essence of being a young adult and learning what works in life.

During finals week, I thought it would be a good idea to pour sparkling apple cider over my Cheerios. I experimented by adding a small amount of liquid to three pieces of the cereal in my spoon. It wasn’t bad, so I made a mental note.

When I returned from break, I decided to do a second trial of the experiment — as any good scientist does. I still liked the taste, so I looked my roommate dead in the eye and poured Martinelli’s directly onto a full bowl of dry Cheerios.

My roommate just stared at me, horrified.

“I decided to full send it,” I said.

My reasoning was I never do anything particularly adventurous, so I may as well spice up my breakfast cereal. Which, I would like to point out, I was eating for dinner. Is that adventurous? You decide.

My suitemates were a combination of terrified and amused as they watched me eat the bowl of fruity, sparkling cereal in its entirety. I was at least entertaining enough to make it onto their Snapchat stories.

Though it may seem weird, I have to say, the mix really was pretty good. Although I do recommend eating somewhat quickly so the Cheerios don’t get completely soggy.

My miraculous mixture got me thinking. What else have I been missing out on in life because of my “partial send” attitude?

As it turns out, a lot of things. Namely pouring milk directly into the cup of cookies from Einstein’s. Chex mix and hot cocoa is not something I was missing out on, by the way, but at least I tried it.

Now, I don’t want you to think my newly adventurous attitude applies only to strange (or delicious) food combinations. I am absolutely open to doing the occasional adventurous, but safe, non-food related full send.

However, as of yet, I’ve only screamed “full send” the one time. This is good, because I can reassure my parents the craziest thing I’ve done in college is put something other than milk on my Cheerios.

I won’t full send it for crack … hopefully. At least my stupidity isn’t that stupid.

If you’re thinking after reading this that you need to improve your full send attitude (in a safe way, of course), the Mint section is working hard to provide you with many entertaining and out-of-your-comfort zone events these next few weeks.

As always, you can reach me at [email protected] with questions and suggestions. If you have an email to me drafted and you haven’t sent it yet, allow me to be the one to say “just send it!”

EMMA LEDBETTER, Evergreen mint editor

Emma Ledbetter is a freshman microbiology major from Newcastle, WA.