ASWSU votes for transparency in education funding

The ASWSU senate voted to support a resolution for greater budget transparency in higher education at its meeting Wednesday evening.

Each WSU student pays more than $11,000 to the university every year in tuition, according to the resolution document. The house bill would require university departments to post their budgets online within 60 days of approval.

“When you get the bill and you get the additional charges that form, it’s sometimes hard to find them,” Hohman said. “Just having them clearly post this will make it easier for parents.”

The senate established that Jansen VanderMeulen, the ASWSU director of legislative affairs, will present House Bill 2336 on behalf of ASWSU to lawmakers. If passed, the bill will ensure that additional student fees would be more visible to students and parents.

The senate also voted in support of Resolution 43-6 to support university events commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement.

The decision followed a few days after Martin Luther King Jr. Day. For Sen. Jake Montaño, supporting university events taking place was a fresh way to recognize an important part of American history.

“It’s more of a stepping stone for the Civil Rights Movement,” Montaño said

Sen. Hayley Hohman said it’s vital to continue the dialogue of the movement that was created by political activist Diane Nash, who came to speak at WSU last night in the CUB Senior Ballroom.

“I think it’s important to look back because history does repeat itself, and we need to make sure we don’t go back to that,” she said.

The meeting also provided the opportunity for the senate to confirm the new Student Veterans Committee president. Jonathan McBride will in for his predecessor as a temporary replacement until the recently elected officers are fully trained.

“I plan on carrying out the office to the best of my ability,” McBride said. “I’m looking forward to making us a prominent group on campus.”